AuthorTopic: [wip] - building  (Read 2256 times)

Offline yyboyyy96

• View Profile

[wip] - building

on: December 15, 2014, 08:55:54 pm
I was practising shading and tried using an concept art from the internet its supposed to be steampunk:

so I tried to replicate it in paint with a few changes here and there and I want opinions about it!

the hardest thing for me are the collors and some shapes(wich failed in my opinion)
because that cylinder where the door is in looks rectangular the collors of the bricks dont match up with the yellowish cement covering the bricks and I had a little trouble with the shadows and the shiny objects, and the collor in the window is a problem for me,
not to mention the huge mountain shore wich looks boring...

what do you guys think I should try to make it look nice?...

Offline TJNihil

• View Profile
    • My deviantArt

Re: [wip] - building

Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 12:53:51 am
  • Your lighting is all over the place.
  • The angle makes it difficult to really show a cylinder; shifting it just enough to allow you to curve the top and bottom of the shape will do a lot for you.
  • Heighten your contrast. The shadows are very close to the base color. Don't be afraid to alter the hue; shadows often look better using cooler colors, especially in outdoor settings with natural light, so consider some cool greens or browns to shade the yellow with.
  • The pipes and the glass dome need highlights.
  • The openings of those pipes up top are very flat looking.
  • The horizontal pipe on the right side has some weird geometry going on.
  • The cliff's edge looks unnatural and too curved in places. Study real cliff faces and simplify them to be used here. The body of it also needs to be broken up with rock shapes. Again, study real cliffs for this.
  • I'd recommend darker water colors towards the bottom. Purples if the water's clear, but if that green leaky is pipe is any indication, you might want some dirtier colors.
  • The scenery is rather inconsistent in design; parts of the buildings show signs of wear, but other parts like the glass dome and fence posts look maintained. Unless there's a story to it, it might be be best to keep them uniform.
  • I'd suggest  wrapping the water around the cliff. It's hard to tell what's actually going on with the geography here.
I've done a quick and very light edit to demonstrate some of what I'm talking about, particularly those parts I thought might be confusing.

Hope this helps. Keep at it and good luck with your pixel work.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:57:21 am by TJNihil »
I post regular pixel art characters on my dA.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 07:42:29 am
Hey I like your sketch  :y:
Edit: oh shit I just read the sketch was found on the net  :blind:

We can get this looking very sexy.
IMO go for a style like seen in Owlboy and Shantae 2 Risky's Revenge.

1) Lets decide on a resolution.
IMO you should go about half what you have now (depends on character sprite sizes really) unless you have a reason to use this higher res?

2) Loosen it up. Get rid of all the black lines and just paint it up from blocks of colour.
Work rough with larger square brushes then clean it up after.
Don't analise over perfectly straight lines, instead let things be a little bit wonky and rough around the edges with delapitated textures as it will add character.

3) IMO go back to the original sketch design as it has more interesting shapes and materials.

4) Instead of being directly front on, rotate it so u see a bit of the side too (but not the top). It will look WAY better like that.

5) Pick a strong light source e.g. sun from top left and stick with it. This light source and the shadows it casts will be what builds up your forms.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:31:48 am by Decroded »

Offline yyboyyy96

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 05:19:39 pm
here is a quick update
any more tips are always welcome!

feel free to edit the image all you want!

I'm also going to make the cliffs like this image: