AuthorTopic: Bad-Shading and the Evil grass!  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Magnumcannon

• Engaging werejaguar mode!
    • View Profile

Bad-Shading and the Evil grass!

on: December 25, 2014, 05:20:51 am
So, i've been recently into pixel arting, for like, 2 days ago. I have read some tutorials before, but gave up after vomit-looking grass. That was some months ago, but i tried to do it again. It certainly improved, but it is still VERY ugly and i know that you guys can help me in improving it. Well, let's see...

Shading!

I tried doing some shading and failed miserably. As you can see, that isn't the only problem here...but that's the one that i really want to solve now. I've read some tutorials, but none of them helped, since...yeah, shading a ball isn't quite like shading a minotaur.

My Arch-nemesis, the Grass!

Those were one of my first attempts on doing grass. The first one looked like...something? It wasn't what i was going for. The second one...well, a farm plot? The third, kinda like soccer field grass, but not the grass i want. I took reference on Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana). I don't know if should be taking on something this big, but yeah, pratice does the perfection.

My last attempt on the all-powerful grass. It was the best one, on my opinion. I get that grass should be errant, random, but it should have some kind of pattern, i guess, but i just can't get it.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Bad-Shading and the Evil grass!

Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 04:55:21 pm
please don't blow up ur images just post them at 1:1 scale.

Offline Pukahuna

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/40206.htm
    • pukahuna
    • pukahuna
    • View Profile
    • Instagram

Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 10:35:59 pm
Well, I think you should try to lean the traditional draw before start with the pixel art, there are many basic anatomy problems in your draw, and you will never be able to do a good one if don't fix that problems... Sorry for my bad english x_x
ig: @pukahuna

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 07:51:51 pm

I think the reason you are having difficulty shading is because you don't know quite what your forms are doing/would be doing in 3d space. The problem is more underlying than just shading. I suggest looking up a lot of references of minotaurs and see how the forms look and how they are constructed.

My edit is just an outline of what direction it could go.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 12:23:32 am
To learn shading you need to get a good understanding of how light defines shape. Here's a kick-ass tutorial on shading and other useful things:

http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm#light_stuff

Offline Magnumcannon

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 12:40:00 am

I think the reason you are having difficulty shading is because you don't know quite what your forms are doing/would be doing in 3d space. The problem is more underlying than just shading. I suggest looking up a lot of references of minotaurs and see how the forms look and how they are constructed.

My edit is just an outline of what direction it could go.
Hey, thanks. I think i should get some information about general drawing before doing more serious pixel art like this. Thank you a lot!

To learn shading you need to get a good understanding of how light defines shape. Here's a kick-ass tutorial on shading and other useful things:

http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm#light_stuff

Hey, thanks! Going to read it! Thanks a lot for the tips guys!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 03:56:29 am
Hey magnumcannon at ur level I think u should get a bunch of references and draw from those.
Try finding some reference of a minotaur and working from that and try at a slightly higher res so it's easier and u can learn more.
There's tons of good reference like this one perfect for making a sprite from -
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070317073837/forgottenrealms/images/0/00/Minotaur_-_Sam_Wood.jpg

But draw lots of other things too. Keep practicing and posting for feedback. It helps to post ur reference.
Then start doing ur own designs and sketches and keep switching between working from reference and ur own creativity as both skills are linked and should be grown together

Offline Magnumcannon

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 04:13:50 am
I think that's the problem with my minotaur. I didn't take any reference, so this abomination was born. The one you sent to me is good, but i wouldn't tell it was a minotaur at first sight. I was going for something with a more bull-like head, with human features at the rest of his body. I did some browsing and found this one right here. I think that comes very close to what i was thinking of. Well, i think i'm going to start from scratch, since most of the problems were caused by the anatomy of the thing.

I will post the results when it's done. Thanks a lot for the useful tips, Decroded!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 05:53:24 am
Hey I dunno what software you're using but its a good idea to save ur progress either by copying ur work to a new layer or saving multiple files.
That way u can make a gif to show ur process which helps us help you.

Offline Magnumcannon

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 05:59:26 am
I'm using Paint.net and yes, i'm saving my progress.