AuthorTopic: [C+C] Mock up for a top down RPG  (Read 2880 times)

Offline jesse

• View Profile

[C+C] Mock up for a top down RPG

on: November 19, 2014, 04:40:35 am
Hey all,

First time posting here! I drew this as an exploration in styles for a top down RPG and I'd love any suggestions you've got.

I wasn't happy with the lighting in general. Originally this was supposed to be a dark, badly lit, kind of moody room, but I couldn't figure out how to achieve that lighting effect, so if you've got any pointers there I'd appreciate it. I felt there needed to be shadows in the corners of the room too, but couldn't make that look right. Everything came out a bit more cartoony than I wanted.

I should note that I was going for a less symmetrical style, and the somewhat wavey lines are intentional (though I think some shapes are too far off, such as the chair legs being too fat).

Okay cool, thanks in advance!

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: [C+C] Mock up for a top down RPG

Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 01:03:53 am
I drew this as an exploration in styles

If you mean this is not the start of pixel art piece, fine. Because it is not pixel art!  ???
In case you thought it was, keep on reading ;)

It's what is called oekaki: sketching with a 1px pencil, with no regard for precise pixel placement. Nothing wrong with that as it has its own merits, it's just a different kind of art from what we study here.

For starters, it's waaaaaay too large: 900x900 is close to 1 million pixels, and you are supposed to control each and every one of them! Start with 100x100, you can easily spend a few hours refining that or even smaller ;)

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 10:21:49 am
If you want it to be a dark and moody room, you need to ask yourself "where is the light coming from?" Right now, there's no light source - there's just light everywhere, so the room feels bright. Pick a light source, and then do your best to add shadows where they would belong. Here's a horrible example for you, hahah:

This is going to be a tough lighting situation to handle, though. Good luck! =)

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 08:45:34 pm
You've met a terrible fate, haven't you?

Manupix is basically right, although I guess you're not going to downsize this into 100x100 any time soon :lol:

Instead I recommend that you use some sort of tiling (so, that will forcibly imply a regular perspective) and not do freehand drawing as you've done here.

I'm very curious as to why there is a man with no skin on the ground, so I'll be the first to address the elephant in the dressing room. :crazy: