AuthorTopic: [C+C] characters and such.  (Read 3540 times)

Offline computertrash

• knight of time
    • View Profile
    • tumblr

[C+C] characters and such.

on: October 24, 2014, 04:10:58 pm
im not too great with pixel art and as such, everything i make is flat.

is there anything i should fix? i think it looks pretty decent.
thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:43:27 pm by computertrash »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] help with this for an avatar?

Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 09:45:05 pm
I think it looks decent too, as a flat-styled image.

Not sure if this was a question: but if you want to show off form/dimension you gotta up the contrast/shadows within materials. 

Anything I did beyond that in my example isn't 'fixing' so much as detailing and refining to a different finish which you can attribute to the fact that tooning is fun, (all except the snaggle horn; just irked my sense of symmetry is all).   

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:47:43 pm by Facet »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 12:52:34 pm
i dont like the horn things.
the colour (warmth and saturation) and the red/orage lines (noise/detail) attract far too much attention and then they just look weird with the hard black outlines with no AA.
just dont know what is going on here as they look more like cardboad cutouty things than something thats attached to her head.

Offline computertrash

• knight of time
    • View Profile
    • tumblr

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 08:42:01 pm
i dont like the horn things.
the colour (warmth and saturation) and the red/orage lines (noise/detail) attract far too much attention and then they just look weird with the hard black outlines with no AA.
just dont know what is going on here as they look more like cardboad cutouty things than something thats attached to her head.

this is her original design. why she's a lighter green than the original grey, is because:
in the story she's from, she's a sort of vampire and vampires where she live glow white. different people have different blood colours and hers is jade (same colour as the symbol on her shirt). vampire's eyes are also more yellow than usual. it's just the design.

as i said, i don't have a lot of experience pixeling.
i did edit it to give more depth and i quite like it. edited on left, original on right. i REALLY like her eyes.

i'm also going to make her animated and just have 2 different frames for mouth and a simple 1 frame for blinking. i'm working on her at the moment, fixing the horns.
E: i really liked how you edited her, Facet !!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:01:18 pm by computertrash »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 10:18:37 pm
No probs! Looks a lot more rounded now.

It has lost a little of the graphic impact of the first ver. (strong simplified shapes) which you needn't lose in detailing; I liked the more extreme framed eyes/oval mouth/black turtleneck, but it depends what you’re looking for.

Looks a bit friendlier actually; too much so for a vampire?

Offline computertrash

• knight of time
    • View Profile
    • tumblr

Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 11:44:29 pm
Looks a bit friendlier actually; too much so for a vampire?

who says vampires aren't friendly? she's actually one of the nicest characters in the whole story (and that's really saying something, considering there's 50+ characters !!)

i tried to edit the horns a bit and i also made a layer for the closed eyes frame. i've decided not to add mouth animations so she'll just stare and blink at people.

Offline computertrash

• knight of time
    • View Profile
    • tumblr

Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 05:34:17 pm

the left is as if she were human and the right is her as a vampire when glowing. the left one actually makes me think of ice cream, hehe.

also, something i started last night.

i've only just started shading and stuff on the guy. unsure as to how to do the hair for him, tho.