AuthorTopic: Help on improving my overall Pixel Art.  (Read 7186 times)

Offline DatPixelArtistTho

• View Profile

Help on improving my overall Pixel Art.

on: October 23, 2014, 09:45:08 pm
 I don't really know how to put the image directly on the website, so I guess just give me some criticisms, and look at my other works on imgur. [/img] Here's a link so you can view it on imgur if the image isn't working properly: [/img]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:25:00 pm by DatPixelArtistTho »

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: Help on improving my overall Pixel Art.

Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:47:09 pm
You're going to want to right click directly on the image and select "copy image URL." Also you should probably uncheck the option to upload it to the gallery and just get the direct image link after uploading and use a transparent BG. As for the piece itself, you should increase the contrast between the colors. I could barely tell there was more than one shade of each color without zooming in. The anatomy is a bit off though I think that could be a stylistic choice It is also a bit odd to have a consistent black outline on everything except the hand. Good luck!

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:26:35 pm
I intended it to be viewed at about 5 zooms. I would resize it so that it is crisp and clear but sadly, im new to pixel imagery and don't know how.
 I'm currently using MS Paint and if you know any FREE better alternatives, feel free to name drop.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:37:01 pm by DatPixelArtistTho »

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:44:06 am
Sorry for the double post but here is one little update:

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 12:46:43 am
You should just edit in updates unless it has been a really, really long time without a reply or it is an update directly responding to critique. As for programs, paint.net is an easy way to get transparency and the free version of GraphicsGale is more convenient and easier to use than MS Paint.

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 01:59:33 am
Oh, im sorry, I meant I use Paint.net,i just call it MS Paint because that is catchier to me.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 05:04:37 am
Well then you're calling it the wrong thing lol. They're entirely different programs.

On the subject of your art: Don't work on such a saturated/bright background. You'll strain your eyes, and it'll change your perception of your colors.
The first version looked better... having his arm out like that looks super awkward.
There's other things I could say, but I don't have time atm. Good start. :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:10:15 am by PsylentKnight »
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 11:19:18 am
I tried to make shaded areas darker and I moved the arm slightly closer to the body hopefully that makes it a little less awkward:

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 08:02:26 pm
I'm aiming for being able to make (Sorta) topdown angled stuff here is my attempt at angled heads: (I know the angled one has a beard, just roll with it.) Now ill have to go through the trouble of pixeling his body at an angle...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:12:38 pm by DatPixelArtistTho »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 12:58:51 pm
imo get a program like photoshop then set it up for pixel art (VERY quick when u know how).
then delete ALL the blue stuff and replace with 50% bright plain grey.

then describe better what it is ur trying to do here exactly.
e.g. are you making a street brawler game?
can you provide some examples or something similar that inspires u?
then we can try make some edits that push u in the direction u want...

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 03:48:04 pm
I want to make a game with pixel-art im, sort of like the perspective seen in Retro City Rampage. I really liked how that game was presented, and would love to do something along the lines of that art. (Is Photoshop Free?, and that second body without a shirt was just a place holder)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 09:04:11 am
Photoshop is more expensive but the most diverse.
Plenty of free similar programs e.g Gimp.

You MAY want to use a pixel-art specific tools but one of the above pretty much does everything so you won't need to learn multiple programs.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 10:18:27 pm
I like Photoshop for painting stuff, and if you're just using it for free-form illustration, it probably can't be beat, but it's definitely not free. On top of that, it's not made for animation, though it can be used in a limited capacity for that. For a beginner at digital-everything-art, I suggest getting a pixel art tool made for pixelling to learn the basics of colors/contrast/clustering/materials/lighting/etc. Work at somewhat low resolutions to start with (48px-100px W and H at most), and shrink down from there. It helps to learn how to omit details from a high-detail model while retaining the characterization/lighting/materials/etc. This is a good start to getting you familiar with pixels.

As for specific pixel-art tools, you'd probably want to try Graphics Gale if you're interested in fast character animation. It's shareware, so it's free unless you want GIF support -- but, even without GIF support, you can still export a sequence of PNG images and use some freeware tool to stitch your frames together if you really want to make a GIF with the free version. Gale has its quirks, but it's an excellent tool made specifically for pixel-based art and animation. Spend a little time with its help file and learn some of its animation workflow shortcuts, and you'll be hooked. There's a lot hidden under the hood in this tool, and I almost passed it by til I learned about the way the rotate function and layer transparency work in relation to animation, and how rolling the mouse wheel goes through frames. Until you start animating pixels seriously, you wont realize how invaluable those features are.

That being said, if you're just painting pixels, pretty much any ol' program will do. Photoshop is very versatile, and there are neat tricks with it for pixel art, but it's got a high learning curve for new users and, as mentioned before, it's an illustration program, and it's not free, nor is it meant for animation. Bottom line is, choose what works for you. Do that, and you'll be all set. :)
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 11:02:21 pm
+1 You'll get lots of good help here using Gale too if u read around.
I Only use it once but came up with an animation that was way better than I could make it photoshop.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 12:46:33 am
I think you can get PS CS2 for free but its no longer supported so it might crash or do other wonky stuff.

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 02:48:28 am
Today I wanted to try something different, The first image is of a cowboy from the top-down view, The next images are the heads of the character that  would appear in the textbar during conversations, you may have to zoom in a bit to see the image clearly

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 03:22:36 am
I tried to make a head that is looking forward-Downward, this was the perspective I was aiming for such as that in a 45 degree Top-Down RPG Game. (Left)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 05:20:09 am
Today I wanted to try something different, The first image is of a cowboy from the top-down view, The next images are the heads of the character that  would appear in the textbar during conversations, you may have to zoom in a bit to see the image clearly

That's nothing at all like how someone would hold a pistol.
I suggest using references, and post the reference here that you are using.
At ur level you're going to waste lots of time if u keep working without reference.

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 01:00:36 am
I don't really use references, I just guess, and assume

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 01:25:29 am
Well decroded probably assumed that already and is suggesting you use them to improve. If you are going to draw something from real life, it is almost always a good idea to have a reference of some sort to at least capture the likeliness. Unless you have a photographic memory, guessing and assuming will rarely get you something that looks like what it is supposed to. Say an alien creature wants asks you to draw some arbitrary mode of transportation called a wonkwonk. Obviously you would want a picture of it, you have the general idea that it is a mode of transportation and maybe he shows you one really quickly before leaving in it. It would be rather difficult to recreate such a thing without a reference.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 02:23:55 am

Don't make an "ass" out of "u" and "me" buddy.

Please do listen to Decroded's advice about using references if you want to get better. You want to waste your time as a wannabe pro, content with thinking you know everything about your subjects there is to know, that's up to you, but you're gonna be pretty stagnant in your skill level while your peers, who *do* use references, pass you by.

References help you to understand your subjects -- the more of these types of studies you do, the better you'll become at art in general. Pixel art isn't "easy" just because it *appears* simple. A lot of knowledge in both rendering and construction goes into a well-executed piece of pixel art. Using references will make you better at understanding and rendering that underlying construction of things, and constructing art is what the pros do. It doesn't pay to be lazy. The renaissance masters had to travel far and wide and even cut up corpses to even begin to achieve an understanding of their subjects -- all *you* have to do to understand a subject *you* want to draw is just google it. :/
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/