AuthorTopic: Nondescript Female Townsperson Sprite  (Read 5572 times)

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Nondescript Female Townsperson Sprite

on: August 08, 2006, 05:31:38 pm

I thought that the ten color palette I created was hotness. However, being but a novice, the actual drawing part of this sort of sucks. Anotomical problems and other issues plague this picture, but I'm not sure how to approach some of these issues.

Comments, criticisms and edits are much appreciated.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Re: Nondescript Female Townsperson Sprite

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 06:21:10 pm
It's a superbly unique palette and has wonderful potentual. This looks fantastic.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 09:01:55 pm
A very minor edit:

The major problem I've noticed with many people's RPG sprites is the fact that they appear to be looking at the viewer, despite being viewed from a pseudo-overhead perspective (meaning that the sprites appear to be looking upward, not straight ahead). I shifted the eyes down a pixel, and did the same with the hair line.

The palette is great. I didn't notice it till I did the edit, but you did a fantastic job making such high-sat colours look so appealing. Nice stuff.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 11:35:17 pm
very nice, I was pondering on what exactly I found odd about it, scrolled down to see what other people had said and I find Tremulant hit the nail on the head.  ;)
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 11:47:10 pm
Yeah, the perspective was wrong. I knew of this trap, not doing proper top-down view, before I went ahead and drew it, but I still fell for it. Tremulant, your edit is very nice. I've done some minor alterations to it:

I went ahead and drew some bricks for the hell of it, using the same palette. They sort of pain my eyes, but at a slightly closer view, they're tolerable. I'm guessing it's the result of too much unwanted contrast, saturation and hue variance, by me being too lazy to mix new colors.

And er... sprite on backgroundish sort of thing. Using the same palette proves to be a bad idea even more.

This has been fun so far, and I've learned some stuff along the way, even if my work is still a little subpar.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 11:56:39 pm
I would advise you try some duller colouring for general backgrounds cus that poor sprite could fade away into walls of the same colour.  :-\

when your feeling less lazy that is.. great bricks though  8)
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 01:00:45 am

Compare. Which do you people think looks best? There's still something that iritates me about these bricks.

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 03:43:59 am
I... double-posted, I feel so dirty.

Updated, now with four directions. Fixed up the bottom of the dress a slight bit:

Smoothed the bottom row of brick tiles a bit more, and decided it was the best of the three since it's the least busy lookin' and distracting (which is good for a game):

Ah, and I revised the tileset with sprite picture:

C & C, as they say. Animations probably to come soon.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 04:25:23 am
my 2 bits (no pun intended :P): simply having a lot of bright colors doesnt mean you need to use all of them. a lot of very successful games use a couple of colors per tile, even games that dont need to like sword of mana.  since your character seems aimed in that direction, you may wish to study their color usage.  i think though that you may have difficulties form that though in that your palette requires real blending in order to knock it back.  my suggestion is to avoid the brightest colors on things like walls, so that the character can at least be found on the page.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Shifty McSly

• the Master Thief
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 06:20:30 am
Agreed, the wall needs to be a bit less detailed and contrasted, perhaps try a more basic grey/brown/orange combination. The sprite looks really awesome, but I noticed you just flipped it for left and right directions, when from the front on her hair is off to one side more. The palette looks damn sexy on that character.