AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C + C] Enemy Design for a Future Game  (Read 3643 times)

Offline MitchMorales

• View Profile

[WIP] [C + C] Enemy Design for a Future Game

on: October 18, 2014, 02:06:17 am
Hello, I am new to pixel art. Here is a piece I am working on with a group of friends for a video game we are making. I would like to know what I am doing wrong or rather, how I can improve. More on the way!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] [C + C] Enemy Design for a Future Game

Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 05:22:35 am
I think this is a good start and can look good once u give it some design and colours that actually make sense.
The seemingly random choice of colours and apparel aren't doing him any favors.
Can u explain in more detail what exactly is going on here?
What is the theme and setting etc. And where does this character fit into all that?

Offline computertrash

• knight of time
    • View Profile
    • tumblr

Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:31:33 pm
it looks as if it were wearing felt of some sort. you can't really get help unless we know more about the game in general.

Offline MitchMorales

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 08:10:07 pm
Hello Decroded and computertrash, sorry to respond so late, I had given up hope of getting a response after checking feverishly for one week straight.

Alright, as for the game, it is a side-scrolling action game.

The theme for the level is that you get ambushed by a band of thieves (this enemy is just 1 of 3 I've designed) and they have been hired to dispatch you.

Heavily based off of Robin Hood, we wanted this enemy to patrol the first level of the game. He would have a typical walking animation, attack animation and a hurt animation.

He is your average grunt that you will be fighting. He is a smug and will try to rob you blind.

As for his design, we wanted him to wear a typical tunic with long green sleeves. And other basic attire, pants, boots and a belt. As for his headwear, we were trying to go for a leather coif. Still figuring out how to portray that. I've tried some dithering techniques but it comes off funny.

If you guys want to see some more of my sprites, please let me know. And I appreciate you helping me out!

I am still unsure what you mean DECRODED by seemingly random choice of colors. If you could please explain further, I would greatly appreciate it. I'll see what I can fix up while I wait for a response.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 01:55:21 pm
As for the choice of colour, I'd say that the hair is very blue. Not just blueish. Same goes for the green outfit, that is very saturated, but surprisingly the chest is very dark while the arm in the shade is lighter. Possibly seeing the sky and ground colour could help us having an overall idea of the background your guy must stand against.

You did a nice job bringing in volume and readable expression on the face.

Just make sure you don't leave straight lines where curves are expected. I spot such on the boots and on the knife.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 03:35:28 am
Hello Decroded and computertrash, sorry to respond so late, I had given up hope of getting a response after checking feverishly for one week straight.

Alright, as for the game, it is a side-scrolling action game.

The theme for the level is that you get ambushed by a band of thieves (this enemy is just 1 of 3 I've designed) and they have been hired to dispatch you.

Heavily based off of Robin Hood, we wanted this enemy to patrol the first level of the game. He would have a typical walking animation, attack animation and a hurt animation.

He is your average grunt that you will be fighting. He is a smug and will try to rob you blind.

As for his design, we wanted him to wear a typical tunic with long green sleeves. And other basic attire, pants, boots and a belt. As for his headwear, we were trying to go for a leather coif. Still figuring out how to portray that. I've tried some dithering techniques but it comes off funny.

If you guys want to see some more of my sprites, please let me know. And I appreciate you helping me out!

I am still unsure what you mean DECRODED by seemingly random choice of colors. If you could please explain further, I would greatly appreciate it. I'll see what I can fix up while I wait for a response.
Of course we want to see more of your sprites! Thats why we're here  :lol:

I think you're off to a great start with this one and now that you've provided more information you've opened the door for us to edit and suggest improvements.
I can't help wondering about your scenery too tbh.
It seems like you're persepective is hard-out side-on, with no view from above at all right?

As for this sprite, I personally think the head is a bit TOO big unless maybe young kids are your target audience.
I think you have too many contrasting hues that break up the sprite into colour blocks.
I would monochrome it then work up some limited hue shifts for congruity.
For all game elements, consider how they appear when the player is not directly looking at them.
Communicating with consistent visual language builds trust in your player which is a factor in "enjoyment".
There are many parts to this but for example its a good idea to have a different "main" hue for different enemies so the player can easily see "there's 2 red enemies in front and 1 yellow one sneaking around behind" without having to race their eyes around the screen all the time.
A skilled player will use this information to make better use of the game space and be more prepared for the behaviour of those particular enemies.

Offline MitchMorales

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 04:36:37 am
Hey guys, back with loads more to show you. Just enemies though (still finishing the player animations) but I have 2 new enemies to show.

In addition, a couple of tile sets I keep jumping back-and-forth from. Oh, and a dialog box one of the other artists is helping me with.

Now, I will address you guys individually:

*** PypeBros: Alright, I took your advice and changed the colors. Also, I noticed the straight lines on both the knife and boots and made alterations.
Let me know if the changes are enough or if I should keep updating it.

***Decroded: I am working on the scenic portion of the First Level (Forest) but I hope the tiles for the Forest Set will give you enough of an idea for what
I am aiming for.

Correct. I am going for it to be hard-out side-on, with no view from above. We are trying to emulate Metroid and Castlevania (personally, I like
Noitu Love 2: Devolution)

Yeah, we are still figuring out what the audience will be but were set to keep it cartoon-ish and gore-free (ie no excessive blood or dismemberment) I could
make some adjustments to the head, I'll talk about it with the group.

I changed some of the colors, I hope it makes it more congruent, I am still learning my way around art.

Hm, those are some good points. I'll try to make each enemy hue different enough to be distinguishable.

Just to make it easier on you guys, I'll list in order what I am putting.

- Enemy 1 (Basic Grunt) - **Updated with the suggestions PypeBros and Decroded recommended
   Changes for: Enemy 1
(Changed the colors, changed the lines on the boots and knife, added dithering, added some detail to the pants)
   Note: Original on left for comparison

New Uploads (still WIPs):
- Enemy 2 (Ranged Grunt)

- Enemy 3 (Melee Grunt)

- Forest Tile Set  - **Still unfinished

- Castle Tile Set - **Even more unfinished

- Text Dialogue Box - **Feeling a little iffy about the design

Future plans to upload:
- Enemy Animations
- Player Animations
- Another tile set for another level
- Scenic background for Forest Tile Set

Of course, I plan to improve on what you guys tell me about these sprites I upload. To which I say, bring it on!  ;)

Looking forward to hearing from you guys! And as always, thanks for the help, this game wouldn't look as good without your help.