AuthorTopic: Nondescript Female Townsperson Sprite  (Read 5574 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Nondescript Female Townsperson Sprite

Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 03:59:03 pm
here is a quick wall i came up with using your original palette, with a very energetic pattern, and one that follows closely to your existing bricks:

no fancy mixing, but there are 2 main things i was trying to do:

1: knock it back.  this was done in two ways. 

the first wall is knocked back because there is a lot less going on than your noisy bricks, even though its still more energetic than perhaps it should be (2 tiles offers very little to work with, if i could add a tile it would be one that is just the light yellow).  It also utilized only one of your three ramps, again to take down the excitement because monochromatic=boring, though the purple, compliment of the yellow, does pick it up in a way that adds some unwanted excitement.  Alternatively, you could use the dark green in place of the purple, but that causes the wall to lose its color identity.The character though is easily visible on the page, soid consider this attempt of mine to work.
The second wall is knocked back also, but through a completely different approach, mixing.  choosing which colors you mix is very iimportant, because different mixes work in very different ways.  This particular mix of a rose, orange, and green was created for the singular purpose of creating brown.  htis particular mix is incredibly simple.  Pink and green together neutralize to make gray, completely devoid of the saturation your palette has so much of.  need proof? mix crimson and pthalo green paint and see what comes of it.  or, if you are a computer person, take a color that is equal parts R and B, and add to it an equal part of G.  all parts become equal, creating gray.  adding orange to this gray creates a nice brick color, and its position in the mix can be used to make it function as a highlight, giving the bricks form.  This mixing successfully knocks back the colors and the character is easy to see on the page.

2:  Add interest

When you see your walls there, they are completely devoid of anything that would make them interesting.  It does eliminate the grid, but that is only ecause it sets up an equally ugly pattern and we dont want that. The first wall i did has a completely random pattern to it that is very interesting and attractive, but for reasons discussed above it doesnt compete for your attention.  you would only look at it if you were specifically thinking "im going to look at that building and see what it looks like."  The second wall follows the ordinary brick pattern, but with a little twist.  one tile has several larger blocks that make a distinct break in the pattern.  the plainer tile still breaks up things a bit by having every second row be composed of long and short bricks, a common sight in architecture done for the same reason im doing it, to add a little bit of interest without being obtrusive.

hope all that helps.  i think it would be very fun to see you do an entire game with just these 10 colors and trasparency, or if you added 5 more colors and made a 4-bit game but still using just this palette.  it would be cool to see what a person could do with it :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.