AuthorTopic: [Color] Establishing an eerie sunset environment  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Sunjammer

• View Profile

[Color] Establishing an eerie sunset environment

on: October 03, 2014, 08:54:55 pm
This is obviously really sloppily drawn, but it's not the real tiles I'll be using

It's meant to try getting the colors right for a melancholy type distant sunset, probably in autumn. I feel like the chosen colors should work but something feels wrong about it.

Is the orange too overpowering or garish?

Any insights would be wonderful, getting the feeling of an environment and the necessary value ranges to convey the intended lighting conditions is something I'm trying to learn.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:57:21 pm by Sunjammer »

Offline Lux

• View Profile
    • Purple Pwny Studios

Re: [Color] Establishing an eerie sunset environment

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 03:33:09 pm
I think you've got a pretty good "golden hour" feel going here, although I can't say whether or not it feels autumnal to me. One thing that bothers me are the purple accent tiles. Try adding a semi-transparent layer of red or orange over the tiles, and work from there. To keep it consistent, you probably want to think more in terms of relative color. You can create the illusion of purple by using a muted red, or something like that, just like how your muted bluish grays in the shadows appear very blue against the orange and red tones. I've done a quick edit on your photo, to give you an idea of what I mean: