AuthorTopic: Walking Cycle - Afraid Looking  (Read 3234 times)

Offline thoc

• View Profile

Walking Cycle - Afraid Looking

on: October 01, 2014, 10:26:16 pm
Hello all! So I am trying to make a "afraid" looking walking cycle. The thing is I´ve found some nice tutorials like these ->

And I manage to make one single walking animation but the idea is to give a different view into the character walking style since the story behind that is that the main character is in a unknown forest. So he is looking to happy for this kind of environment and at the same time I wasn't successful changing that...

Walking ->

Forest ->

In this image I am still with the old character but just to give it a size idea.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Re: Walking Cycle - Afraid Looking

Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:41:30 pm
Well he pumps his arms way too much and head bobs a lot, which are what give him his over the top happy look. I imagine a scared person as being more aware of himself... his arms more stiff, his gait slower and more controlled, etc. That's pretty much all I've got.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline melbow

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 08:49:07 am
You should check out the game 'Home'. It's a suspense mystery with a kind of similar looking character to yours (although I like your colors much better). And I'd say you want something between sneaking and walking, but not nearly as exaggerated as your example cycle sneak. Standing/running upright exudes confidence, so your character should be slightly hunched.

Also, your walking animation is good, but it looks more like running because his knees bend too much and his arms fling too far and are bent too much.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 01:45:10 pm
He would be looking more afraid, if he'd walk slowly and with his upper body and head bend slightly downwards, his lower arms almost horizontal and his palms facing the floor most of the time. He should then also turn his head a bit from side to side, looking around, like he is expecting something to jump at him any moment. Currently, he does not look afraid to me.

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 03:42:17 pm
I recommend you read through this thread http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=14489.0