AuthorTopic: Very simple character sprite, feedback apreciated  (Read 5834 times)

Offline Mac

• View Profile

Very simple character sprite, feedback apreciated

on: September 12, 2014, 10:42:33 am
Here's a very simple character sprite I made for a simple 2D interactive story(wouldn't call it a game, as the only challenge is not starving to death, no opponents etc, that might change later). Note on the shading: I am planing on doing a dynamic shading system, in the sense that the shading on the character will depend on where you are standing in the room, please keep this in mind when commenting about the sprite  :)
Here's a pic

Basic plot for those who wanna read it:
Your name is Roger Becker, you have been asleep in cryostasis for 150 years as part of an experiment, were you volunteered. The reason for this is you were going to be given 200 million dollars when you woke up. During your sleep however, a nuclear war broke out, and you wake up to a wasteland, the only sound the voice of the AI which woke you up.

Anyway, feedback on the sprite would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:27:41 am by Mac »
I do pixels from time to time. I also make games in lua and ruby :)

Offline hobbler_toppler

• View Profile

Re: Very simple character sprite, feedback apreciated

Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 06:31:49 pm
Something so small is difficult to give critique on. Some of the tones could use a little bit more contrast, but I don't think it really makes that much of a difference, especially if you're using a dynamic shading system on top of it.

The success of small pieces like this depends on how well they interact with each other. If you're interested in receiving ongoing critique, we could be a lot more helpful if you posted more of your game here as you continue in its development. I hope to see more of it.

Offline JustinGameDesign

• JustinGameDev
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/46823.htm
    • JustinGameDesign
    • JustinGameDesign
    • View Profile
    • Support Justin Game Design on Patreon

Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 07:47:24 pm
It's Hank Hill with long sleeves. Maybe change the shirt or hair so it doesn't bring to mind an existing character. I know you can't do a lot with so few pixels, but a male character in a white shirt and blue jeans with a brown flattop is pretty recognizable.

Other than that the contrast level on the shading is definitely too low.
Working on Wings of Aetos, a retro-style shooter/platformer in which a bare-chested angel-man makes things explode!

https://twitter.com/JustinGameDev

Offline Mac

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 10:12:51 pm
I tried changing the clothes around a bit, but now that I look back on it those khakis look a bit too close to his skin color...

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 12:45:31 am
Please post images in original size, this site have zoom in option (left click).

I presume that you are limiting yourself to this size because you are afraid that bigger sprite won't look good when you draw it (you doubt in your skill).

If you are already going for something this simple change proportions of character, give his head more room so you can add some emotions. This way is too plain and boring. Also you have some redundant colors here. Your light and shadow tones in skin, hair and pants (even the suit) are too similar, so if you remove one of them it won't be noticeable. Try to make greater difference between colors to make transition more noticeable.

Here is my quick edit (it's so small you need a magnifying glass to find it  :crazy: ):

Offline Mac

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 08:25:03 pm
I presume that you are limiting yourself to this size because you are afraid that bigger sprite won't look good when you draw it (you doubt in your skill).
You are correct  ::)

I made a few modifications to your edit, and came up with this:

Pretty pleased with the result, I couldn't tell on yours wether the dot was a mouth or a nose, but I prefer the one without. Thanks BTW.
PS: The zoom function on pictures here makes them all blurry for me, do you know what might cause that issue? I'm on chrome on a mac...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:24:20 pm by Mac »

Offline sonicspin

• no
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 09:12:48 pm
PS: The zoom function on pictures here makes them all blurry for me, do you know what might cause that issue? I'm on chrome on a mac...
there's a script that one user made for this
needs tampermonkey tho

Offline Mac

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 09:21:56 pm
Thanks, that worked  ;D

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 11:56:53 pm
You are correct  ::)

If you run away from it you will never learn. You should draw even if result doesn't look like you envisioned it. It's step you can't skip, the more you draw the better you will be. Don't be shy and try. (It rhymes :D)

Offline Mac

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 08:39:43 am
You should put that on a motivational poster  :P