AuthorTopic: Questions about pixel art for my game  (Read 3913 times)

Offline ProtoDan

• View Profile

Questions about pixel art for my game

on: August 22, 2014, 03:22:40 am
Anyway, I have a bunch of noobish questions. First of all, should the little reflection on the shoe be a lighter version of the shoe color or plain white? Should the "white" parts I have now be perfectly white, or should they have a tint of blue like they do now? I also don't get how people shade the color white. I just make it darker and hue shift (if it's not 100% white and there is a hue). People like make the shading really blue even though the base color has no saturation what so ever. That just doesn't make sense to me. I also hope that the angle is correct and everything... and the colors. I hope that they're not to saturated and what not.

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Re: Questions about pixel art for my game

Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:24:38 am
  • Reflection? The white pixels in the shoes can be white shoelaces or white socks or white ornaments; 2 or even 3 pixels might be better. At this size, suggesting a glossy material is quite impossible, regardless of your wishes.
  • The blue tint is good; the solid red areas without shading or details are less good.
  • Despite the good colour choices, the 45 degrees line in the middle is ugly. The shadow terminator should be located more or less there, but it should be rounded.
  • What are the stray pixels around the edges of the head? Thick hair?

Offline ProtoDan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 07:49:03 pm
    Well, if I do change the size, can you tell me what color to choose? I have other graphics in the game that should be "glossy". I don't know why the size matters here anyway, since I'm talking about the color.
    It's not solid red, there is shading. Look harder. Enlarge it if you still can't see it. Also, I've seen a lot of professional sprites that just have plain white.
    I tried doing the round shading before, but I want it to look like the light source is 100% at the top right. Not slightly in the front, as that would make things complicated. I even went on Unity to see how the shading of a sphere would look with that light angle.
    It's fuzz.
    You didn't answer all my questions, but whatever.

Offline Blobber

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:58:47 am
  • Reflection? The white pixels in the shoes can be white shoelaces or white socks or white ornaments; 2 or even 3 pixels might be better. At this size, suggesting a glossy material is quite impossible, regardless of your wishes.
  • The blue tint is good; the solid red areas without shading or details are less good.
  • Despite the good colour choices, the 45 degrees line in the middle is ugly. The shadow terminator should be located more or less there, but it should be rounded.

@ProtoDan - No need to get so defensive man, these are all good points that he has raised.

I especially agree with the 45 degree line - if the guy is round then having the shading like on a sphere would look better. Maybe give it a try at least and post the results for others to judge?

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 08:21:27 pm

Several points to make here. The 2(3?) different shades of red don't have enough discernible contrast. If a person has to zoom in to see the difference in color, then there is not enough difference. Second, you mentioned that you hope the colors were not too saturated though a majority of them are at maximum saturation. Additionally, my suggestion would be to abandon the notion of trying to convey the fuzz with the outline; it will only make it look messy at this size. Also shading the guy like a sphere is the right way to go, just try a few more iterations and adding one or 2 more colors before judging it. As for the white highlight, you are going to need the colors to build up lighter around it for it to not get mistaken as a feature of the shoe. To convey the glossy material, you are going to need the brightest 2 colors be significantly brighter than the base shade.

Offline ProtoDan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 11:41:02 pm

Several points to make here. The 2(3?) different shades of red don't have enough discernible contrast. If a person has to zoom in to see the difference in color, then there is not enough difference. Second, you mentioned that you hope the colors were not too saturated though a majority of them are at maximum saturation. Additionally, my suggestion would be to abandon the notion of trying to convey the fuzz with the outline; it will only make it look messy at this size. Also shading the guy like a sphere is the right way to go, just try a few more iterations and adding one or 2 more colors before judging it. As for the white highlight, you are going to need the colors to build up lighter around it for it to not get mistaken as a feature of the shoe. To convey the glossy material, you are going to need the brightest 2 colors be significantly brighter than the base shade.

The game will already be zoomed in by 2
I want the colors to be bright and vivid.
Again, the messiness of the fuzz won't be present because the game will have a x2 size.
I already stated why I have the 45 degree line.
In response to your edit of my sprite: I don't really want an outline, and he looks kind of... creepy. I think it's the lack of eyebrows and hyper-realistic eye.

@ProtoDan - No need to get so defensive man, these are all good points that he has raised.

I especially agree with the 45 degree line - if the guy is round then having the shading like on a sphere would look better. Maybe give it a try at least and post the results for others to judge?

I'm not trying to be "defensive". I'm just explaining as to why the sprite looks the way it does. Again, I went in Unity and tried to figure out how the sphere should be shaded. The shading now is pretty accurate for the light source.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 12:31:40 am
While it is certainly technically possible to light a sphere like that it's not a good artistic choice in this instance. It doesn't read like a 3d shape, when creating sprites the number one priority is readability and number two is appeal. This light source doesn't really provide either, I highly suggest moving the light source as in yaomon's edit, obviously it's your choice if you're doing it for artistic reasons but I wouldn't do it just because it's less complicated.

The answer to your colour questions is: what looks best? Remember this is art not science.

As far as real world physics are concerned light can get hue's from many different sources, consider if you have a light source that is pure white (like the sun) then the light hitting directly on the object (the highlight) will be whatever colour the material reflects. If the light source is bright enough or the material is reflective enough this could be pure white, if the material absorbs a lot of the light it will reflect whatever colour that material is at a certain brightness based on the type of light and the materials properties, so a red object will likely have a light red highlight. But all you have to do is look around the room to see materials that change hue and brightness substantially from their darkest to lightest shade. Materials can reflect light in an infinite number of ways.

The question of why a shadow might be blue is pretty simple, if there is no light hitting a surface then it will be pure black. Obviously shadows are rarely pure black and this is because light is bouncing off every object around us, and those objects are absorbing and diffusing light, this creates ambient light which can be thought of as a base colour and brightness that all objects in a space take on. So shadows take on the colour properties of their surroundings to some degree, and based on the time of day and your environment that colour could be almost anything.

Because we can't account for all of these variables without a degree in physics most artists just go with their gut, if a white highlight looks right then white it is. And being accurate to the real world doesn't necessarily produce the best looking art, all choices are based on the real world but the artist decides whether to obey those rules or not for the sake of more aesthetically pleasing results.

I suggest you take another look at yaomon's edit and consider what you like about it, rather than what you don't. Everyone here is trying to help and their advice is certainly taking into consideration that you've made your choices, but that doesn't necessarily make them the best ones.

Offline ProtoDan

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 09:51:33 pm

Thanks, 32. Hopefully this is better.