AuthorTopic: [WIP] Help With Character Design  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Noxiousd

• View Profile

[WIP] Help With Character Design

on: August 10, 2014, 03:01:44 am
Hey, i've been creating pixel art a few weeks now (properly, anyway, had just messed around before now), and have undergone the task of creating some enemies for a game idea i'm currently working on.

These are extremely early, and i've not got a clue how to go about animating them just yet (tried a walk cycle, didn't end well)

My main issue i am having, is making the proportions look convincing, especially noticeable on the Wolf

Any tips would be awesome, i'm currently studying games design at Uni so looking to finish learning Unity and hopefully have something that resembles a game by the end of it.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Help With Character Design

Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 03:24:32 am
Any tips would be awesome, i'm currently studying games design at Uni so looking to finish learning Unity and hopefully have something that resembles a game by the end of it.

I'm almost exactly in the same boat. Though, I'm working towards a Computer Science degree. I consider myself more of a programmer than a pixel artist. I came here to seek advice and to learn. It's been a great experience so far, so good luck with your game/sprites!

My take on your fat monster sprite:

Not sure what style you are going for, or if you blew up your sprites, but you can add a lot more detail into sprites that size. Mine is actually smaller.

If you did blow up your sprites than there is no need to with this site, simply clicking an image enlarges it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 05:16:18 am by lachrymose »

Offline Noxiousd

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 10:56:10 am
its kinda the style i'm going for, 32x32 pixel, going for the "Gods Will Be Watching" style

i'm absolutely clueless with programming though :( , primarily do art

Offline Noxiousd

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 11:47:30 am
Having taken this on board, i've decided to move to 64 x 64

Offline Noxiousd

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 08:11:21 pm
Moved the images to 64x64

Offline Zia

• Pixel herding is hard work.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 01:32:42 am
I'm still a little confused as to how large you want your images here, exactly. "64x64" doesn't exactly tell us what you're going for - especially since I don't feel like your sprites are exactly adhering to the sizes I'm expecting. There are a lot of really big colour blocks that feel wrong for the image sizes you're uploading.

I feel like your ogre sprite, in particular, has too many colours and not enough contrast. It all feels really blurry and indistinct, with everything merging into everything else.

Everything about this just confuses my eyes and isn't what I feel like I would expect.

Here's a really quick edit I did. This ogre is designed for a space 64 pixels wide and 128 tall (1x2 tiles).

To contrast, here is your ogre in this same space.

See how it feels like it's a much lower resolution? You're not properly utilizing the space you have. The sizing is just all kinds of funky. You can also take a look at mine to see how a smaller colour palette with colours that are used in less blurry ways giving a better feeling of depth and detail to an image.
Eriophora Zia

Offline SteamCaptain

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 01:24:43 pm
I think you could push the design much further and give it much more personality.
If your going for 64x64 then you shoul consider adding more details, if your going for a x2 zoom look, remove some details.

and try to keep the color count low and look out for multi-resolution pixels