AuthorTopic: Roar, I guess. *Updated again, 08/08/06... Finished?*  (Read 13128 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile
Maybe... I don't really care what you call it, at this point. I'm just glad to be able to pixel again. :P

<--original <--Final (Me thinks...)

Other steps:
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/Ogredon2.PNG
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/Ogredon3.PNG

Yay! It's been a while since I've had fun pixelling anything, or, for that matter, had any ideas to pixel. It's something, anyway, and I'm pretty happy with the result, anatomical impossibilities aside (how does he support his head? Magic, dammit, that's how.)

Much like all of my stuff, it had many problems, some of which  I can see even now, regarding depth, anatomy and general technique, but I've been staring at this for at least 3 hours now, and I think it's getting to be time for a second (or third, or fourth) opinion.

C&C would be loved.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 03:40:27 pm by Tremulant »

Offline MrNormS

• Rock and Roll.
    • View Profile
    • http://vitamintwo.com

Re: Roar, I guess.

Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 05:05:56 pm
Only one rear leg?

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 05:11:37 pm
its magic!

since i have 0 knowledge of anything you could need crits on, ill just say that i like it :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 05:14:56 pm

I say at this stage in the game, you're not rendering enough surface, or texture, or light. You're doing a very gentle finish that's very two-dimensional, almost a drawing of a drawing of a dragon, if that makes sense. My edit has more weighted rendering, fuller usage of the -let's face it, one ramp- and more detail work. Just a different perspective.

I don't think you're making all you can make out of the palette either.

Always looking forward to your stuff, hoping for when I will no longer feel the need to edit them in any way.

edit: oh my, I mangled the grin -if it's a grin- because I didn't iterpret it at such when I edited
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:16:52 pm by Helm »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 05:20:42 pm
I like it but you should show the other leg and i think it's a bit overdithered. Also listen to Helm, that's what helped me most when i started out! :D
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 05:28:48 pm
Only one rear leg?
Duly noted ;D

Ryumaru:Heh, good call. Thanks!

Helm: I see your point. I was going for a bit of a softer, smoother feel, but I think I way over (or under, however you look at it) did it. I'm not sure I see whereyou're coming from with the palette, though. It is only one ramp, yes, but that's all I felt I needed here. Like, I understand that having a more flexible or... obscure (for lack of a better word) palette can be useful at times, but here the red/yellow ramp covers the ground, no?
I mean, your edit looks fantastic but the colour selection seems a bit arbitrary. What's the rationale behind, say, the purple highlights? Or is it arbitrary, and you're telling me I should experiment more with my colours? I don't mean this too sound, like, sarcastic or dissmissive either (I worry that sometimes stuff like thsi comes off that way). I'm honestly just not fully getting it :)

Ptoing: Wondered about that myself... :P I was dithering an awful lot. Heh, and I know. Listening to Helm has proven invaluable in the past.

Edit for spelling/grammar/format/sex

Offline Nix

• when life throws you pixels.. make pixelade
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 05:32:35 pm
its top half of its vody is huge compared to the back half. he would constantly be tumbling forward. make his spine shorter. and his legs bigger and stronger. and lengthen his tal.
Nixel Art

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 05:43:17 pm
It's not a science on my part. If you take a picture of anything you'd say is predominantly one color, like a human face - as this is closely applicable- and you eyedrop it you'll find all sorts of different hues in there that have to do with blood concentration, wear of the skin, moisture, subsurface scattering and of course, lighting conditions. Why should a red dragon -especially a pixel drawing of a dragon- be any different? Especially when you have very pronounced bones stretching skin all over, porous compexion and whatnot? Purple for the win!

EDIT: a different way to put it really is, use composite colors. Select a hue that is dominant and build towards it with complementary colors. Yellow's opposition is purple, and they both support red nice.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:45:08 pm by Helm »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 05:58:54 pm
man, I always love opening up your threads.  very yummie.  Although I love your style that you've been using, I'm just warning that if you dont explore a little bit outside of that style, you might get stuck in a nitch.  People like Splat, and even maybe Kenneth, for example, all are stuck in their own lil nitch that thay can't get out of.  (with kenneth it's probably more that he chooses not to though)  I'd take helms advice even if it's not what you're going for.

Offline Dan

• "Haha The Man"
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 06:08:18 pm
I think this is a great piece but like most said before needs some more depth and detail added. If you were thinking of not adding the details as Helm demonstrated i would advise to add another leg which would at least add some simplistic depth. Also about the weight distribution of the dragon would be fine as is if he used all four legs... If you get me... Anyways nice art.
That's the way the cookie crumbles. - Do the bug bob.     - Woot!