AuthorTopic: Roar, I guess. *Updated again, 08/08/06... Finished?*  (Read 13377 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Roar, I guess.

Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 06:53:01 pm
woo, finally got something i can crit. :P
this might go somewhere related with helms lighting crits but oh well.

i see, in alot of your pieces, this very dithered look, you seem to dither everything you make everything blend so smoothly but doing so doesnt allow for hard edged highlights, and this also takes away interest from your picture. i think you should push the value of everything more, if your gonna keep the dithers as they are, maximize the areas you have left to put stronger highlights in. doing this will dramatically bring things into the foreground, as well as push others into the background.

also, im alittle confused of the lightsource, it seems it could either be from the top, or the top left, but you have some highlights that seem to come from light under the beastie himself.

i love the hand gestures he has and the proportions are so funny!

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 10:54:16 pm
Wow - another great piece from you.  But i definitely think tremulant-experimental style would be worth going into.  You certainly have a way with pixels but if you try out some other styles you never know what you might create. ;)

Any way onto this piece.  I think playing around with colors, as helm did, may really benefit this piece.  One thing i noticed about this that hasnt already been said is the overall flow of the piece.

Yours is very angular (shown by the top one) and it doesnt really flow.  I suggest re-doing the tail along the line of the bottom one, to get a better flow - it will also make the overall balance / pose more realistic, and not so dominant in the upper-body department.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 06:23:12 am
Feron also raises another interesting point: if you extend the tail in that flow, it will balance the body out and make the position workable.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 03:49:47 pm
Thanks guys. I'm at work, atm, and so won't reply to comments (I will when I'm home :))

I did an update. I think I addressed some, at least, of the crits. Now I'm stuck on the tail (the form thereof), but I think I can work it out. I think I'll break for a bit, though.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Roar, I guess. *Updated 04/08/06*

Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 04:06:52 pm
The pose just does not work for me AT ALL, not even with the longer tail (it would have to be ridiculously long to work realistically.)

So i made this little edit. The hand can stay how it is i just rotated the lower arm a bit. Works pretty well i think.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 04:40:07 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 04:26:28 pm
:D

I think I love you.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 10:00:04 pm
The pose just does not work for me AT ALL, not even with the longer tail (it would have to be ridiculously long to work realistically.)

So i made this little edit. The hand can stay how it is i just rotated the lower arm a bit. Works pretty well i think.

lol.

Looks awesome Tremulant, but I have to agree with the above comment.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 01:24:25 am
Damn. That update with the depth is quite fantastic looking - a real treat for my eyes. I think the walking stick edit gives the character some personality, tis quite amusing (As well as fixing the anti-gravity problem). Can't wait for more. ^__^

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 07:05:39 am

I say at this stage in the game, you're not rendering enough surface, or texture, or light. You're doing a very gentle finish that's very two-dimensional, almost a drawing of a drawing of a dragon, if that makes sense. My edit has more weighted rendering, fuller usage of the -let's face it, one ramp- and more detail work. Just a different perspective.

I don't think you're making all you can make out of the palette either.

Always looking forward to your stuff, hoping for when I will no longer feel the need to edit them in any way.

edit: oh my, I mangled the grin -if it's a grin- because I didn't iterpret it at such when I edited

Imo, I wouldn't go for a Helm style on that. It looks for graffiti art style or concept art than pixel art. Since Tremulant is going for a gentle style, I'd go for that like others did. Need contrast on the tail to give a 3d appearence. Overall, it looks marvelous. Can't wait until a new update comes out.

Offline SolidIdea

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 07:30:17 am
Great 1 legged senile dragon =)

I think he could use some scales in his arms and neck. His face is so detailed that the body looks a little bland.