AuthorTopic: Newbie looking for guidance  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Zheios

• View Profile

Newbie looking for guidance

on: March 25, 2014, 12:53:47 pm
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to pixel art and I have stumbled upon this forum yesterday while looking at other people's work to try and grasp the basics of drawing with pixels. This morning I decided to give it a go and made my first piece, which is this tree ! I discovered that making a tree's leaves texture is not that easy so I kinda went with how I felt and re-adjusted while working on it. I think what it lacks the most are some highlights and maybe a more precise sense of light source. I'm quite content with how the trunk turned out, but I think it looks like it is being seen from the front and not the standard view we often see in RPGs. Anyway, sorry for the long text; any guidance or C+C would be most welcomed. Thank you and have a nice day.  :)

(I hope the image comes out right, I just uploaded it on imgur with its original size)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Newbie looking for guidance

Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:09:26 am
Welcome, good start  :y:

Perspective of leaf structure vs roots suggests eye level perspective, is that what you're going for?

Consistent light across the textures flattens the image.
Consider shifting the light source a little to the left or right so you can use light and shade to out the forms.

Try adding more yellow hue where the sun hits the leaves.

EDIT: Made a quick edit for you to illustrate:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:33:10 am by Decroded »

Offline Zheios

• View Profile

Re: Newbie looking for guidance

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 02:24:43 pm
First, thank you for your reply ! On the matter of perspective, I haven't really thought about that. I just tried to make the textures look like what they were supposed to be. I will try to shift the light source like you suggested, it really seems to make the image more "real". I tried to stay away from hue shifting as I kinda suck with color and can't seem to grasp how to make good contrast and colors connect.

I will follow your guidance and post the result once I find the time to work on it, again thanks a lot for your advice !

EDIT: I worked on it a little bit and this is the result. I think it is a lot better, thank you !

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:37:45 pm by Zheios »