AuthorTopic: Krillin needs improvement  (Read 2375 times)

Offline CaptainFuzzyboots

• View Profile

Krillin needs improvement

on: July 29, 2014, 01:10:36 am
Hey guys,
I've been doing pixel art for a few days and - after reading a guide at http://www.raywenderlich.com/14865/introduction-to-pixel-art-for-games - decided to make a character...
Here it is :
Please answer the following questions :
  • How can I improve this? // Shading, Color choice -- anything at all.
  • What are the norms here? // Sites you use to upload images, how do you give people credit for good answers, What size do you save pixel art in, etc...

// I made it bigger so you guys don't have trouble pointing out where I've gone wrong.

Offline Kosvid

• View Profile

Re: Krillin needs improvement

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 05:59:55 am
1. More contrast. As I can hardly see, arms have two colours, but it is impossible to make any difference between them. The orange shades are too bright as well. Search for some references for shading, pay attention to the contrast between lit and shaded surfaces, and you will be surprised how different they are. If the darker spot on his right leg is supposed to be a shadow of the right arm, you should point that out. And in that case, the area under the shoulder should be darker, too.
Set neutral background. Shift it more to the grey.
After you finish lighting and contrast, think about detalization. His crab-hands especially need it.  ;)

Most users (I think) use imgur.com.
This forum doubles the size of images each time you click them (images). So there is no need to enlarge them yourself. Always show the real size, 1:1. It is also easier to make edits with the original scale.
Good luck in exploring the pixel world.  :)

Offline Zia

• Pixel herding is hard work.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 06:25:07 am
As already mentioned, you should definitely look into creating images with more contrast. At that image's real size (32x32?) those colours will fade into each other and appear almost solid.

The character's stance is very stiff. It's hard to imagine him moving - he looks like a billboard or a carboard cutout. Try googling things like "fighting stance" for some references. I honestly can't tell if you're going for "thug" or "ninja" here, since a thug would tend to have a less fluid stance, but the clothing would tend to suggest ninja.

Your shading doesn't create much sense of fabric or true shadow. It's hard to determine what some of the shadows should convey - remember that clothing in real life wrinkles and doesn't have clear shadows. It's a little "ruffled."

Here is a quick edit I did that fixed the stance, some of the contrast issues, and tried to give shadows with a bit more "depth." I assumed your were wanting 32x32 sprites and kept with that. I also made his bald head shiny!

(blown up for ease of viewing, since I've found the website's largening feature tends to blur things)

and actual size:

After staring at this character for a little bit, the colour palette reminded me a bit of Avatar the Last Airbender,  so I turned him into Aang just for shits and giggles.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:01:22 am by Zia »
Eriophora Zia

Offline CaptainFuzzyboots

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:16:30 am
Wow!
You are epic :D
Also, is there any way I can give you like a plus one, or something?
Thanks once again :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:57:57 am by CaptainFuzzyboots »