AuthorTopic: GR#199 - Character - Animation  (Read 31199 times)

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

GR#199 - Character - Animation

on: July 13, 2014, 01:07:59 am

http://imgur.com/f3nujO1

Added the link because imgur is blowing it up for some reason, making it look all blurry.

Inspiration is from Paul Robertsons work, nothing was ripped, but his art-style is along the lines I was shooting for.

I'm BRAND NEW to pixel art, this is my first work. Please let me know what you guys think. I believe that it is good, but I watch it and can't help but feel like SOMETHING is missing.
Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, or other forms of help!

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• Hobbist Animator + Apprentice Falconer
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile
I'm pretty new to pixels as well, welcome!

I think the sprite base looks pretty good, but the animation seems a bit rushed and jerky for just a shanding pose, unless he's about to throw a punch at someone. The main thing I would change is the way the shirt "pops" a bit at the bottom. I'd make that less dramatic; my eyes go to it first rather than the face of the sprite.

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile
It is fast and bouncy, but the framerate on the GIF is little faster than the actual animation in-game, but just by a bit. I actually want it that way. I want it to look bouncy and alive. I'll look into the shirt, see what it looks like toned down a bit.

Thanks!

Offline Yukie Anima

• View Profile
I'm actually pretty new to pixel art, too, but I had some experiences and... here is my attempt to help you.

If I say anything wrong, please correct me someone. It's my first attempt on helping someone on this forum.

The Face is a little strange. He doesn't have a pupil on the eye for a three-pixel eye (it's a rule I've made: if he has a three-pixel eye, use a pupil, but I think that's just me being weird), and it doesn't seem to match his body at all (through I think this is just my opinion).

His arms are too big, I think. If you 'open' them straight, they would get near his feet, and that shouldn't happen. Maybe making the arm a little shorter would fix that?

And I think the pose is a little strange. It looks like he is just putting his hands on his waist, but then you realise that you can see his hand, and it is closed. If it's supposed to be a fighting stance, I think putting his hand more near his face and showing his arm a little would make the animation better.

But... it's actually a good animation for first time :p. I didn't know how to shade very well, so I never shaded at all in the beggining, but I see you are practicing it!
I'm actually a little scared of forums... but I always liked them, so I'm joining this one now! I hope we can all get along.

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

Slowed the animation down, tried to downplay the shirtflapping, decreased the width of the torso, changed the eyes to look more like pupils, and changed the hands a bit. I think it looks much better now, thank you for the thoughts!

Anyone else? I appreciate the helpful comments so far.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:21:16 am by RedSuinit »

Offline Yukie Anima

• View Profile
That's a great improvement!

All I can think of now is that the eye pupils looks a little strange. Like if he was looking up. Try changing their position.

And the hair bouncing seems a little strange, maybe making it less frames where the hair bounces? Like, if it uses 4 frames for the hair bounce, try making it bounce on 3 or 2, and making it less aparental. I think it's taking too much atention.

Good work so far! Keep up at it!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:06:33 am by Yukie Anima »
I'm actually a little scared of forums... but I always liked them, so I'm joining this one now! I hope we can all get along.

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile
Yeah, you're right about the hair. I think I might try sunglasses on him, aviators maybe, and see what that would look like if I can do it right. He seems kind of plain, I wanna give him a bit more flair.

Thanks again for the input!

Offline Alexanator28

• View Profile
I am kinda a noobie to pixel art too, but I noticed you have some serious banding going on in the arms, so try to fix that.

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile
I see it now. Never really noticed it before, but its so blatantly obvious now, haha. I need to adjust the elbow. Thanks!

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• Hobbist Animator + Apprentice Falconer
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile
I think it looks much better, and still has that lively flare it did at the beginning. I'm good with human anatomy, so I can't help anymore really, but I look forward to checking in on the final piece!