AuthorTopic: New to Pixel Art (C & Edits welcome)  (Read 3671 times)

Offline gparali

• View Profile

New to Pixel Art (C & Edits welcome)

on: July 06, 2014, 06:04:14 am
Hello all!

First of all sorry if I missed any thread you have for the introduction of new users. If I did just point me to it and I will rectify the matter.

Now! Onto the pixel art.

I am kind of new at this, meaning I have just being trying for a week, most of it taken up by reading tutorials. I am at the point that I realy need some feedback to see what mistakes I am doing.
I particularly like edits so I can see what can be done to improve py pieces.

At this point I have only two (time is unfortunately limited) I would like some feedback on. They are very small as I like the style and, more importantly, I find it more approachable.

So keep the C+C coming!

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: New to Pixel Art (C & Edits welcome)

Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:26:42 am
You're pretty much on the right track, everything is looking good. The animation is pretty nice, though I think the shoulders going up and down is a bit much. I made a quick edit to show a few things. The AA on the sword isn't working. You could definitely cut back on the colours and focus on nice clusters instead, I think that would suit the style better. His legs are also a little short but that's all up to your stylistic preferences. Consider working on a neutrally coloured background(I just use 50% grey), this is all fine if the piece only exists on pure white but any outer AA is going to fall apart on a background.

I'm having a hard time reading the second guy, is it meant to be like a bird/man hybrid? I'm sure that would come across better in motion but as a still at this size there's not much to say about it except try to use bigger clusters in your shading, don't have it hug the edges so much.

Not much else to say except keep drawing  :y:

Offline gparali

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:59:11 am
Thanks for the feedback.

I realy like what you did with the sword, and the way his body lean more to the back.

The bigger clusters are also good. I will try to use them more in the future.

The second character is a birdman, and yes I also think it's readability leaves something to be desired.

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 04:51:08 pm
I think the reason the birdman is difficult to read is how close the beak is to touching the shoulder. It is one pixel away. This leads the mind to fill in the rest of the rather perfect circle of negative space so it looks like a man wearing a helmet with a visor like an astronaut rather than the white being negative space.

My suggestion would be to at least to move the head and neck over a few pixels so the beak is no longer in line to create a circle with the shoulder and there is a more easily readable silhouette.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:52:46 pm by Parkerbaby »

Offline gparali

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:10:20 pm
Thanks for the suggestions.

Didn't have the chance to correct the previous ones, but I tried working on animating a small goblin.

Please, tell me you thoughts.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:12:11 pm by gparali »

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 07:41:20 pm
no need to gace anything but a 1x sprite, we can click it to see it better.

Offline Cakeprediction

• huehuehue, newer...er avatar :D
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 07:50:53 pm
Not a lot wrong with the animation, except that his head didn't seem to move along with the body. Didn't do a lot next to that, just moved a few pixels on the arms and on the head:

Hope this helps :D

edit:
Just realised that the arms in my animation are a little bit stiff, so you might not wanna do that :P

Offline gparali

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 07:57:22 pm
Thats funny. Initially I made it like that, but it seemed to me that with the head stable it looked better. oh well :)

Offline Cakeprediction

• huehuehue, newer...er avatar :D
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 07:58:22 pm
You could do a little head bobbing to make it a little bit more cartoony-ish :). One sec, I'll post an example in a few minutes

Edit:

This isn't perfect, but this kind of movement might be the thing you're looking for :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:02:34 pm by Cakeprediction »