AuthorTopic: Skeleton /Warrior/  (Read 7634 times)

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Skeleton /Warrior/

on: June 02, 2014, 08:40:05 pm

Could be used for a little game. I'm pretty happy with it so far but I want to fool around with it more, so why not hear what you all think?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:07:21 pm by Fizzick »

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: Skeleton Knight

Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 10:01:30 pm
Good beginning, I like construction and color choices.

Part that bothered me the most is head. It lacks details and because of that at 100% it looks just like white circle. Also his right shoulder pad is a bit strange (but maybe that's good because this is old armor I don't know), you should pay attention to it.

This is not a big edit, but I've fixed some things.

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 10:54:31 pm

Thanks a lot!
Tried to incorporate the ideas I liked best about your edit. also redid pants somewhat, new pauldrons and stuff too. Thinner chestplate and more dithered flail for spikyness.

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 10:58:11 pm

Alt palette.

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 11:18:20 pm
You shouldn't double post, if you have new content you should edit your previous post.

Now shoulder pads are way worse then in fist version. I said just his right pad is strange left one was good. By giving him pants you are suggesting that beside torso armor he doesn't have any protection. This can be exploited later if you want to create different levels of this enemy through adding more armor.

Green color tweak is slightly better. I would suggest that you work on 50% gray background, cause the same colors looks different on different backgrounds, and this way you will avoid this type of problems.

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 11:25:08 pm
You shouldn't double post, if you have new content you should edit your previous post.

Now shoulder pads are way worse then in fist version. I said just his right pad is strange left one was good. By giving him pants you are suggesting that beside torso armor he doesn't have any protection. This can be exploited later if you want to create different levels of this enemy through adding more armor.

Green color tweak is slightly better. I would suggest that you work on 50% gray background, cause the same colors looks different on different backgrounds, and this way you will avoid this type of problems.

Normally I would work on grey, this would be for a game where most of the background was that color excluding some details and tiles. Can you clarify what is wrong with the pads? Sorry about double post. I realized my mistake just after I made it, but at least nobody else had their thread bumped before I posted again.

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 12:02:59 am
Perspective and position cause this is 3/4 view and right pad don't read like that. First version had more volume. You should find some good reference for this there is a wide variety of designs.

Here is just a thought.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 11:03:40 am
Just a nitpick, but I thought the eyes looked better in the original. 1x2 pixels instead of 2x2 pixels per eye. Alternatively, three pixels in an L-shape. But 2x2 pixels per eye looks way too big at this scale, IMO. Where the original skull looked scary, the new one looks fairly cartoony and cute.

At this small scale, with these dark and muted colours, I also wonder if the pose (holding a sword in front of one leg, which is barely visible) conflicts with readability.

I like HDMD's latest shoulderpad, but not the changes to the breastplate.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 01:09:32 pm
@cels:
Your comment about the pose is exactly what I was thinking the whole time I've been looking at this topic. The sword looks great on its own, but the skeleton really needs to throw it over his shoulder or hold it out in front at a diagonal or something to add a bit more interest to the silhouette and avoid obscuring the leg.

The issue isn't that the leg is hidden -- the issue is that the *front* leg is hidden, which removes any chance at really indicating proper depth on the subject. The back leg looks like *it* is closer than the front with the sword over the leg like that, thus reducing the readability of the sprite overall.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 04:00:20 pm

At school, so some of my better versions were unavailable for edit. Mostly just ideas here, what do you think?