AuthorTopic: SNES-ish Urban/City Tileset halp~  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Sunjammer

• View Profile

SNES-ish Urban/City Tileset halp~

on: May 27, 2014, 03:19:56 pm
What up guys! Spent a lot of time in the space of about a month trying to learn pixel/tile art from essentially zero, so having to do this required learning color theory, how to communicate various textures like metal and concrete, values, etc... in a very short time. I feel like I improved quickly (relative to 100% beginner) but hit a wall and would like to get better at a faster rate, so any possible tips about color or tileset construction or anything would be great! I know it's popular these days to go for a very flat modern style but I want to try to maintain the beautiful techniques of old, if I can get good enough to do it.

I suspect a better way of going about making a convincing city tileset is to first design a few buildings that thematically and architecturally convey the setting and then both use them whole and take them apart for tiles to mix and match. Going about it this way feels more like it'll just feel like urban-themed corridors.

PS: This isn't intended to look like a refined map/mockup, it's just tiles I've made so far mashed together to approximate one, as well as some miscellaneous practice with materials like metal.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:21:36 pm by Sunjammer »

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Re: SNES-ish Urban/City Tileset halp~

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 04:35:04 pm
One of the issues I see, aside from not being able to tell if something is a wall or a floor very easily, is that the bottom-most image's cool-to-warm transition appears to come across as rust on a metal wall. If that was your intention, it's not bad at all, but you might want to still consider keeping that rust a cool color that is hue-shifted toward the warm, rather than an actual warm color (i.e. more of a blue-green than a brown.) Although it is an interesting transition color-wise, it looks more like it should be transitioning to moss or grass climbing up the wall instead of rust (assuming that's what it is.)

Also, concerning the brick-wall to brick-floor (just below the main image to the right), the contrast is much too high between the brick's cracks and the surface of the floor for it to read as a floor imo. Additionally, the wall's bricks seem to be lit from all sides (which is physically impossible), so you might want to consider tweaking that unless each brick is painted individually with a ring around its front face.

Don't mean to be picky -- this is excellent work for such a short time of learning pixel art! It's just subtle stuff you might appreciate knowing, that's all.

Concerning your method of creating a city tileset, you're actually not far off the mark there dude. I would suggest you make a few variations of the buildings like you suggested -- but then copy those variations and simply recolor them with different hues/colors -- this is the way old SNES style video games went about making you feel like you're visiting totally different places with the same building constructions (i.e. one building might be a green hue, another would be a maroon, and another might be a dark red, and so on -- you'd rarely notice them side-by-side as being the same tile unless you were really looking as long as the size/shape of the building overall was varied enough to the one just next door to it. :) )

Anyway, like I said man -- this is excellent work. Keep it up. ^_^
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Sunjammer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 04:21:46 am
Don't mean to be picky -- this is excellent work for such a short time of learning pixel art! It's just subtle stuff you might appreciate knowing, that's all.

No, that's perfect, thank you. I'm interested in learning, not having my ego treated gently haha. It would be fine/welcome if someone said 'this is garbage you did everything wrong' etc.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 04:27:39 am
I like the gritty look, but the main issue is readability.
The viewer needs to be able to easily and subconsciously discern walls, ground and roof from one another. Right now it really blends together, especially due to the shading.
Try squinting as a test to see if it passes for readable or not.

Also it might be a good idea to have some larger areas with less visual intensity, because the patterns and shading give the eyes no place to rest.
For example you could simplify the ground and/or roof tops and focus on areas that you want the player to focus his attention on.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 04:30:10 am by Seiseki »

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 08:25:03 pm
No, that's perfect, thank you. I'm interested in learning, not having my ego treated gently haha.

That's good to hear man. Many people like to have their egos stroked but don't realize that the more mistakes they make and fix, the faster they become better at whatever it is they're trying to learn. Getting a bit harshly critiqued is good medicine for conditioning yourself to remember something the next time you start to do it wrong. We can thank Pavlov and his dog for that one. :)

I'm of the mind that something is only 'wrong' when it doesn't come across to others the way we'd intended it to.

Fortunately, regarding intentions though, it's fairly easy to tell when someone seems to be making the same mistakes you made (or might have made if you didn't learn how to avoid them first). The fact that I don't see many of these mistakes in your work says a lot about how far you've come.

I like the gritty look, but the main issue is readability.
The viewer needs to be able to easily and subconsciously discern walls, ground and roof from one another. Right now it really blends together, especially due to the shading.
Try squinting as a test to see if it passes for readable or not.

The squint test is an excellent suggestion for stuff like this btw. If things blend together too easily and aren't separated by hue/intensity/contrast, it's a good idea to add in something that breaks them up (bushes/grass/puddles/streams/etc.)

Since your inspiration is apparently Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy styled tiles and perspective, keep in mind that stuff like the dark blue of the brick-wall and, what I'm assuming is a blue brick floor (bottom-right square just below and outside the main tile assembly, the second largest tile assembly), can appear to be very different things with shades as dark and as hue-shifted as the shadow portion of the wall. What I mean is the part that looks like a 'floor' also looks like a rooftop with shingles. This is due to the subtle shift in hue you have on the wall just before it meets with the joint that meets the 'floor' area.

That joint essentially looks like a roof joint area, with shingles, sort of like in Japan. Without the context of a building's front, etc., this looks like it could be either a roof *or* a walkable surface. Like I said however, the culprit is the shadowing on the 'wall' above the joint separating the wall and joint with a hue-shift, and the fact that the 'floor/shingles' are the color of the joint and appear to be much higher up due to the darkness of the wall's shadowing, and the wall's hue shift to warm seems to intentionally separate the two.

I doubt this is the intent, but that's why I'm sharing it with you. :)
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 09:07:30 pm
Really cool tiles, a very nice change from the norm of modern pixel art, and it's actually giving me very nice retro vibes. What was your inspiration for this style?

I'm afraid I don't have anything to add, except that I agree with what's already been suggested.

Getting a bit harshly critiqued is good medicine for conditioning yourself to remember something the next time you start to do it wrong. We can thank Pavlov and his dog for that one. :)
I believe that would be operant conditioning, so we should thank Burrhus Skinner and his rats, right? :D

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 01:17:02 am
Getting a bit harshly critiqued is good medicine for conditioning yourself to remember something the next time you start to do it wrong. We can thank Pavlov and his dog for that one. :)
I believe that would be operant conditioning, so we should thank Burrhus Skinner and his rats, right? :D

Lol @cels

Nice catch... and here I was thinking I was being smart. ;P