AuthorTopic: water tiles  (Read 20534 times)

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: water tiles

Reply #30 on: August 03, 2006, 02:00:40 am
Searched a stock photo archive for some references.

Good footage of those small, pond-type waves.
http://www.fotosearch.com/ATB729/vfl123/
http://www.fotosearch.com/ATB729/vfl113/
http://www.fotosearch.com/ATB729/vfl124/
http://www.fotosearch.com/ATB729/vfl108/

Hope this gives you some idea of where to start.  :)

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: August 03, 2006, 02:50:26 am
I really love the WW water style, because it more lively and it feels like a lot of things are going on that area. And like some others who mentioned it, the tile fits more to the overall image in my opinion.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: August 03, 2006, 08:05:46 am
I went and did a really crappy edit to try to show some of the things I was trying to explain. To be honest, no offense, but I think you were going the easy way out with the animation as it seems you're only moving pieces of the animation. Anyways, I'm not a good animator, but this is what I was trying to explain, even though I didn't get to include all the things in your original animation.
First, I tried to animate the wave crashing over the previous wave. This seems more natural than wave in, wave out, wave in, wave out, as it has a more flowing, continuous movement.
I also tried to animate the foam of the wave when it crashes, as it not moving seemed really stiff(though I only used two animations for that).
Like someone mentioned before, I thought it was also a good suggestion to have the foam fade away as it fell back. Though on my part I did it cheaply, just having the opacity of the foam lowered each time, I think it'd actually be better if it was animated to slowly bubble away, and will also save colours.
Lastly, I did a poor, and quick job of having the sand get 'wet' and dry up as the sand fell back, as the sand absorbs the water.

EDIT: for references... I can't think of many to show directly, but for anyone who has it, I thought the waves done in Kingdom Hearts, on the island were done pretty well.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 08:10:11 am by Dusty »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #33 on: August 04, 2006, 08:31:31 am
wow, thanks for all the advice guys :)

colours got a bit messed up coz of imageready

tiled:

I was going to have foam left on the sand and have it fade away into the sand.. but it was a bit too much work >_>
I will definetly animate the head of the wave for the next version, and might change the idle water underneath all the wave layers.. if I come up with a better way of animating it..
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: August 04, 2006, 12:50:44 pm
That looks way better.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #35 on: August 04, 2006, 03:24:57 pm
Great motion, the sea retreat is fantastic. Amazing work.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: August 04, 2006, 03:29:49 pm
the lip of the wave is not a solid mass.  it changes shape.
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: August 04, 2006, 03:52:38 pm
I will definetly animate the head of the wave for the next version
heh ;)

Anyway, I love the look of this. I don't know exactly what these tiles are for, but if there is an actual game in the works, I'm readying myself for the world's biggest eyegasm. :P

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: August 04, 2006, 03:55:04 pm
I think you could definetely change the overall hues of the water itself, they don't really fit with the look of all of the other tiles in the game.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #39 on: August 04, 2006, 04:38:51 pm
the lip of the wave is not a solid mass.  it changes shape.
Agreed.  Also remember the rule that waves usually come in as another wave is retreating.

The sand is much too dark after the wave has come over it.  Your lightest wet sand right now is a good color for the wettest wet sand in your next version.  Am I making sense?  :P