AuthorTopic: Walking Knight  (Read 3122 times)

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Walking Knight

on: May 16, 2014, 07:53:23 am
I tried to spice up the walking animation for a player in my game. I know that it is exaggerated but I thought it would give it some depth.

Any criticism is appreciated.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Walking Knight

Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 11:58:25 am
Oh god, this is brilliant. Your knowledge of metal lighting is superb. The helmet specular might be a bit of, but the way the arm clearly turns into the third dimension, mostly through lighting is just perfect.

Also, for other people, notice the use of clusters in animation on the upper leg armor. The way those lines stay horizontal is less realistic, but it's a very good way to move clusters through space in a believable way.

I'm very interested in your work process. How do you tackle something like the arm movement?

If there's anything I'd critique (except for minor nitpicks about the feet animation, which could be better I guess) it's the palette. I'm sure you could push that a little more.

Example from Arne: http://androidarts.com/tuts/speculars.jpg
http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 12:55:10 pm
Thanks for your nice critique. I have never gotten good critique before  ;D 

Funny that you mention Arne, He helped with this character when I started (http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=15704.msg143598#msg143598). So my knowledge of metal is actually not as great ...

I don’t really have a good work process this was mostly trial and error and thinking about angles and shades. Sorry I know that is not a good answer but for this one that was pretty much what I did.

This was the first one I tried, it has the same logic:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:27:13 pm by jahasaja »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 05:26:18 pm
My main critique is just keep working on your anatomy. There's clearly some gaps in your anatomy knowledge, but it's certainly not a big issue and I'd love to play a game with these kinds of graphics.

If I have some time left this weekend, I'll do some edits for you.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 09:35:11 pm
That topic you pointed to should be stickied / feature-chested -- Arne really explained non-linear gradients very well there.

You applied his advice very well, and your animation looks excellent too. Unfortunately, because of that fact, I can definitely tell the difference between your knight and your orc-dude stylistically. If I didn't know it, I'd be under the impression the orc was made by someone else.

--

Looking over Arne's advice on metals, it should be clear to you that you can apply the same concepts to skin or any other material, but at a slightly lesser level. Regardless how nice your animation is, it makes all the difference:

yours and mine respectively:

As you can see, I slightly exaggerated the effect you were somewhat going for already, but the truth is, your colors were just too close together. The "non-linear" type of gradient that Arne was suggesting had to do with what sort of environment colors should be reflected in your character (as you can see in the new colors with the sun and shadows.) Even if you're going for a much darker look in your game, exaggerating these colors at least a little will only add interest to an otherwise dull form if the lighting is too realistic (and thus will tend to look washed-out.)
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 11:44:58 am
Thanks for all the feedback!

Yeah, I really have problems picking the right colours. I feel completely lost when it comes to colours even after reading a lot of tutorials. Because of this problem my characters looks very different and sometimes they do not seem to belong to the same game. Any advice on how to think is appreciated.

I'd love to play a game with these kinds of graphics.
. Thanks! But be careful for what you wish for, I am afraid my game is too hard and not very fun (so far). But at least I want to finish it so I can die knowing that I once created a game.

I tried to make a new version of the knight with a slightly different specular. I am not sure it became much better though? I also so did some tweaking to the shadows but perhaps it turned out to dark?

other version:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:51:55 pm by jahasaja »

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 02:39:41 pm
Unfortunately I'm having a hard time telling the difference between the two outside of just a darker and more saturated-looking blue background, so it's difficult to offer any further critique.

As far as colors go though, to be honest, and I know it's not that helpful, but there's no 'right' way to look at color selection.

The only advice I can give in that regard is to first develop the sort of 'look' you want regarding your representation of form, perhaps even with a grayscale image if it helps (i.e. amount of contrast, symbolism vs realism, outline technique, soft-vs-hard value transitions, etc.) and then play around with creating a sort of universal palette for your game that includes a wide variety of colors that invoke the mood you are trying convey in your game -- just keep in mind there should be no straight color ramps, as hueshifting generally helps to make interesting colors. Generally you are shifting toward the hue of the sun and sky in the lights, and the darkest color of the ground or darkest shadow for the darks. This changes depending on your lighting conditions (i.e. an overhead ceiling light, a florescent light, or ambient cave light from torches or some other source), and this includes the ambient lighting in your shadows -- and back-lighting too if you choose to include it (though that might be better to only include in an environment than on characters).

With that said, these sorts of lighting conditions are how you would create your universal palettes, perhaps even creating one just for characters, and a separate one for environments. You'd just be creative in how you select between the included colors. I'm sure you could cheat by tweaking some colors, but the closer they are to your overall palettes, the more unified your game will appear color-wise.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/