AuthorTopic: Practicing with a newer style  (Read 13471 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: More my Usual Style

Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 11:06:45 pm
Skin color and that pink color are almost the same which makes some areas very hard to read. I like shirt design on her chest.

I'm running into the problem of the colors either being too similar or having them look a bit washed out when I would prefer nice and bright.  Color wise, this contrasts a bit better, but she seems duller because of it. 

And to be honest, it was a spur of the moment flower design I thought of.  Glad it worked out.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 01:40:08 am
For better brightness, just increase the saturation on a select color or two -- you will find that the more prominently used a color is to emphasize other forms or details (such as shadows), increasing its saturation will help brighten your overall sprite without every color appearing too saturated.

That being said, I'm having trouble understanding the area under her neck and around her chest/shoulders due to that color HDMD mentioned.

Is it a shadow? Is it a necklace chain? Whatever it is, I would suggest either doing away with it and leaving it bare-skin there, or tweaking the shoulder outlines down a little so that her neck appears longer and that we can understand it's a shadow of the neck/chin area if that's indeed what it is. Atm, it kind of reads like a necklace or brooch of some kind, which is just too much detail for one cramped area on the sprite. Not to mention it's difficult to see the difference in its color from the 'jewel' unless I'm zoomed in 500% to begin with.

Just food for thought.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 04:07:52 am
For better brightness, just increase the saturation on a select color or two -- you will find that the more prominently used a color is to emphasize other forms or details (such as shadows), increasing its saturation will help brighten your overall sprite without every color appearing too saturated.

That being said, I'm having trouble understanding the area under her neck and around her chest/shoulders due to that color HDMD mentioned.

Is it a shadow? Is it a necklace chain? Whatever it is, I would suggest either doing away with it and leaving it bare-skin there, or tweaking the shoulder outlines down a little so that her neck appears longer and that we can understand it's a shadow of the neck/chin area if that's indeed what it is. Atm, it kind of reads like a necklace or brooch of some kind, which is just too much detail for one cramped area on the sprite. Not to mention it's difficult to see the difference in its color from the 'jewel' unless I'm zoomed in 500% to begin with.

Just food for thought.

It was supposed to be a necklace, but it does make it look really cluttered.
Also, definitely more in line with the color I wanted.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 12:18:48 am
Looks more bright and cheery now. I would darken that bright grey on the sleeve on the closer arm just a little though. It blends way too much with the pink.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 12:17:23 am

Minor change, but I was uploading other things, so bluh.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 06:26:43 am
Bout time I updated this.

Still getting used to this style, so probably a number of mistakes to be fixed.

Odd posing is deliberate, though.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 06:50:31 am

http://cakeordeath.fr/content/illo_23.jpg

A trace for a bit of practice.  Really like how it turned out.

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 06:46:19 pm
i think you're moving forward, and i'm going to sound like an ass saying this but i think you need to use some more care choosing palettes and practice more basic anatomy. you're getting pretty good at animation itself judging by your other thread (better than me at least) but those animations do not address more simple problems like color and artful knowledge ignoring personal style.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 05:01:23 am
i think you're moving forward, and i'm going to sound like an ass saying this but i think you need to use some more care choosing palettes and practice more basic anatomy. you're getting pretty good at animation itself judging by your other thread (better than me at least) but those animations do not address more simple problems like color and artful knowledge ignoring personal style.

Palette has definitely been a major issue for me, but I thought this last one might have been a step up.  Usually everything has been dark and subdued, but I went for super bright for this one.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 05:58:50 am

Playing with character design with this one in addition to practice.  I had an idea in mind, but this expanded it. 

Not 100% happy with it, but I'm getting the style a bit more.