AuthorTopic: practise dummy [edited again]  (Read 7942 times)

yosh64

practise dummy [edited again]

on: July 26, 2006, 10:20:01 am
hey

This is another fighter alike thing I pixeled for practise. I really want to get up to grips with clothing and folds and such :-\. Another problem I think of mine is that things never turn out how I originally plan, but I thinks it's cause I get ideas half way through and decide to change and stuff. But I think that if I can get better, I'll beable to feel more comfortable and maybe stick with my original ideas or something.

edit (screwed the hand up doing the last edit)

Just moved his left sholder out a tad, and changed his right sleve a bit :). I also just quickly changed the colors a tad :).

cyas
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 11:44:30 am by yosh64 »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: practise dummy

Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 10:35:56 am
You won't get anywhere with cloth folds until you put an actual human body - or approximation thereof - under it to provide for the wrapping effect. You're using harsh geometric shapes, which while stylish, will hug material quite differently.

yosh64

Re: practise dummy

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 10:44:09 am
hey

Aha, thanks for the tip, I think I can visualise this to a degree :).

cyas

yosh64

Re: practise dummy [edited again]

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 02:48:18 pm
hey

Well I tried shading his right leg in a KOF style, not sure if I completly pulled it off. I've kinda been studying the Capcom vs SNK, SNK vs Capcom and Rage of the Dragon sprites :).

Hmm, I seem to mostly prefer the Capcom vs SNK style, but it's a hard call :-\. I think the SNK vs Capcom style is best to learn from, and things learnt from it can be applied to the Capcom vs SNK style :), if that makes any sense???.

cyas
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:52:51 pm by yosh64 »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 09:07:48 pm
I think you're worring too much on which style of shading refers to which game, and not enough in achieving correct volumes and anatomy. The sprite is extremely off balance, the left arm (ours) is too long and too heavy, the pose is very stiff...

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 10:30:52 pm
There are way too many anatomical problems, and the pose your trying isnt really working composition wise, but also practically.  No-one would stand like that.  My advice would be to start over - just to save time sooner rather than later. 

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 11:28:46 pm
Sorry in advance for sounding like an ass ('cause I will), but I agree with Feron. Not that this isn't/couldn't be a good piece on it's own, but as an attempt to achieve a better understanding of anatomy (of both the human body and clothing folds), the overly geometric forms won't cut it. It's far too stylized atm. The entire upper body, despite being wicked stylish, is very anatomically incorrect, and as helm mentioned, clothing/cloth falls and folds very differently from stark geometric shapes then it does from, say, a leg.

Overall, I'd consider finishing this piece as a stylized whatchamacallit and then starting a new one in which you work on your anatomy/clothing skills. Or, better yet, working on your folds and anatomy in traditional art, as personally I find pixel art to be a poor medium for learning the basics.

yosh64

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 08:35:33 am
hey

Thanks for the advise, I really liked what you all had to say. I think I will try and quickly finnish this off. Hmm, I enjoy this style (probly cause it takes less thinking for me or something :-\), anyhows I have some things to think about when I get back into things.

cyas

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 11:11:28 am
ok, well if you are gonna finish it, at least redraw the legs.  They are way to small and just look awkward.

yosh64

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 04:22:31 am
hey

and another edit (just a quick update to his left arm/elbow, dim'd and went over his belt, changed a tad above his belt, and also his head)

Well here is the latest, for now anyhows :). I redone the legs, gave them greater mass, and tried to give him more balance. I also went over alot of other things, which I seem to be quite happy with atm. The only thing is that I think the pants look a tad soft for my likings :-\. Not sure if I'm completly done with this yet, any thoughts???.

cyas
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 05:01:01 am by yosh64 »

yosh64

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 08:08:31 am
hey

and
Just applied some finishing touches :).

edit

Just a change of colors :). Hmm, I might keep trying for something better.

cyas
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 08:49:14 am by yosh64 »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 09:42:39 am
they are still way too short/small.  He looks as though one push to his upper body and he'd be down.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 10:59:16 am
His waist is much too small for such broad shoulders.
Nice, though.

yosh64

Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 11:16:27 am
hey

@Xion Night: Ahh yea, I didn't realise that about his waste :-\. Hmm, I will think about changing.

@Feron: Sorry I find it hard to understand what you mean? Hmm, I actually thought of Ryu's stance when making (didn't actually use a reference, or even look into Ryu's stance before making). Anyhows comparing now, it seems pretty close, and even after reading what you say, I still feel happy with it, but I dunno?

and and
Here are some fighters to compare. The first is Ryu from Capcom vs SNK, and the other is Billy from Rage of the Dragon.

Ahh, I think I might need to change the direction of his right foot a tad.

cyas

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 11:37:17 am
from the references you posted yourself, it's very clear that the shoudlers and chest and arms in your sprite are huge compared to the legs, and that there's an issue with the center of gravity, as was mentioned before. If for example, you full extend his arm downwards it reaches his knee

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 11:45:10 am

@Feron: Sorry I find it hard to understand what you mean? Hmm, I actually thought of Ryu's stance when making (didn't actually use a reference, or even look into Ryu's stance before making). Anyhows comparing now, it seems pretty close, and even after reading what you say, I still feel happy with it, but I dunno?

I wasn't saying the stance was off balance - i meant that his upper-body is far too big for the legs. 

I quickly enlarged the bottom half in photoshop - this would be a more realistic size for the legs.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 11:51:32 am by Feron »

yosh64

Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 12:08:08 pm
hey

and and

Thanks again for all the advise, well I actually just now seen your new posts (Helm and Feron). I did actually go ahead before and change his sholders, instead of enlarging his waste :), AND in the process I shortened his right arm :).

edit
Ahh, I think I might need to make his legs bigger now also.

cyas
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 12:13:13 pm by yosh64 »

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 12:16:07 pm
Short but sharp comment in myopinion: he will fall down, the moment he becomes a living character. The pose is lacking balance.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

yosh64

Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 01:10:43 pm
hey

and and

I think this is just about it, I mainly just shortened and made his body smaller, also in the process again made his right arm a tad smaller :).

edit
Hehe, I laugh now looking back at how rediculous he looked :).

cyas
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 01:15:38 pm by yosh64 »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 01:18:33 pm
much better - but his waist still is too short.

yosh64

Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 03:22:01 pm
hey

another edit (changed one pixel on the belt, and updated his cape a tad, hehe :))
and and

I think I will call this done now :D. Many thanks to everyone for the advise :).

cyas
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 04:30:20 pm by yosh64 »

yosh64

Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 12:21:39 pm
hey

and
Sorry to bump this old thing, I just stumbled back onto this today and added more contrast :-\. But yea, thought I'd make a new post for it, rather than an edit... so people may see :).

cyas
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 12:23:19 pm by yosh64 »

Offline tomas

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 01:14:07 pm
I think the biggest problem here is the fact that he's a bit unbalanced. If you would try to stand like that you would most likely fall on your back. Also, the waist and hips looks really thin and his left foot looks to be in an awkward position. Here's a quick edit where I tried to address those problems and I also experimented with mirroring his upper body. You might like. On, and I also upped the contrast even more.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 06:52:08 pm
if you wanted him to look as if he's tilted to the left of the screen you should have moved his foot about 5 pixels to the right, would look much more stable..

but I like the legs, it could all be sorted by simply moving the top part of the body more to center, so the head is roughly alligned with the waist..

I like this dummy, would look better with more details.. but im guessing that wasn't your intention..
I've not got anything interesting to type here..