AuthorTopic: practise dummy [edited again]  (Read 7945 times)

yosh64

practise dummy [edited again]

on: July 26, 2006, 10:20:01 am
hey

This is another fighter alike thing I pixeled for practise. I really want to get up to grips with clothing and folds and such :-\. Another problem I think of mine is that things never turn out how I originally plan, but I thinks it's cause I get ideas half way through and decide to change and stuff. But I think that if I can get better, I'll beable to feel more comfortable and maybe stick with my original ideas or something.

edit (screwed the hand up doing the last edit)

Just moved his left sholder out a tad, and changed his right sleve a bit :). I also just quickly changed the colors a tad :).

cyas
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 11:44:30 am by yosh64 »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: practise dummy

Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 10:35:56 am
You won't get anywhere with cloth folds until you put an actual human body - or approximation thereof - under it to provide for the wrapping effect. You're using harsh geometric shapes, which while stylish, will hug material quite differently.

yosh64

Re: practise dummy

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 10:44:09 am
hey

Aha, thanks for the tip, I think I can visualise this to a degree :).

cyas

yosh64

Re: practise dummy [edited again]

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 02:48:18 pm
hey

Well I tried shading his right leg in a KOF style, not sure if I completly pulled it off. I've kinda been studying the Capcom vs SNK, SNK vs Capcom and Rage of the Dragon sprites :).

Hmm, I seem to mostly prefer the Capcom vs SNK style, but it's a hard call :-\. I think the SNK vs Capcom style is best to learn from, and things learnt from it can be applied to the Capcom vs SNK style :), if that makes any sense???.

cyas
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:52:51 pm by yosh64 »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 09:07:48 pm
I think you're worring too much on which style of shading refers to which game, and not enough in achieving correct volumes and anatomy. The sprite is extremely off balance, the left arm (ours) is too long and too heavy, the pose is very stiff...

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 10:30:52 pm
There are way too many anatomical problems, and the pose your trying isnt really working composition wise, but also practically.  No-one would stand like that.  My advice would be to start over - just to save time sooner rather than later. 

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 11:28:46 pm
Sorry in advance for sounding like an ass ('cause I will), but I agree with Feron. Not that this isn't/couldn't be a good piece on it's own, but as an attempt to achieve a better understanding of anatomy (of both the human body and clothing folds), the overly geometric forms won't cut it. It's far too stylized atm. The entire upper body, despite being wicked stylish, is very anatomically incorrect, and as helm mentioned, clothing/cloth falls and folds very differently from stark geometric shapes then it does from, say, a leg.

Overall, I'd consider finishing this piece as a stylized whatchamacallit and then starting a new one in which you work on your anatomy/clothing skills. Or, better yet, working on your folds and anatomy in traditional art, as personally I find pixel art to be a poor medium for learning the basics.

yosh64

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 08:35:33 am
hey

Thanks for the advise, I really liked what you all had to say. I think I will try and quickly finnish this off. Hmm, I enjoy this style (probly cause it takes less thinking for me or something :-\), anyhows I have some things to think about when I get back into things.

cyas

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 11:11:28 am
ok, well if you are gonna finish it, at least redraw the legs.  They are way to small and just look awkward.

yosh64

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 04:22:31 am
hey

and another edit (just a quick update to his left arm/elbow, dim'd and went over his belt, changed a tad above his belt, and also his head)

Well here is the latest, for now anyhows :). I redone the legs, gave them greater mass, and tried to give him more balance. I also went over alot of other things, which I seem to be quite happy with atm. The only thing is that I think the pants look a tad soft for my likings :-\. Not sure if I'm completly done with this yet, any thoughts???.

cyas
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 05:01:01 am by yosh64 »