AuthorTopic: [WIP] Characters for Game of an Indie Movie [Profanity] Lines from movie  (Read 2779 times)

Offline carelesslabs

• View Profile
Hello Way of the Pixel users,

I am very new to pixel art, I am a corporate developer by day and a hobbyist game developer by night. I am yet to find an artist to pair up with so decided to try and get to a decent level so I can work solo.

I have made a few games:

Cyber Punk Jam - A tribute to Amiga walker, The walker is not my own
Mech Stroller

Flappy Jam - Did this to practice pixel art
Clicky Pixel

Endure - Ongoing isometric Island roguelike
Video of Isometric / Island Game

I hope this gives an idea of the level of pixel art I can work to, I think it is pretty poor at the moment and is stopping me accomplish what I really want from the games I am working on. I can code but I cannot art.

I would like help with the following
I have a new project which will include a lot more pixel art and animations, I have done some drafts of two main characters, please be brutally honest about the following image, how can I improve these before I start animating etc?:

Thanks for your time, I hope my introduction was useful and not a waste of your time.

Offline carelesslabs

• View Profile
After some colour palette advise I started removing lots of colours, there were far to many, I think the black suit needs some more now but apart from the tint on the glasses the pallete has improved.

Found some great art for reference and will try to keep a style that runs through all the characters, they are a little different at the moment.

Latest:

Any feedback from pixel artists would be appreciated

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
It's hard to critique your work, because it doesn't have any glaring mistakes. Sure, there's a few issues, but they are compensated for by style, so it's hard to correct them. This is probably why no one is replying.

That said, I like the new colors better, but it killed the contrast in the left guy. Also, I dislike straight blues, like the goggles have. Are you working from a reference? Can we see it to better help you?

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile
Others may have more to say, but the new text is extremely unreadable. It looks like it says "Babaka I m sucking smaber bhan you!"

EDIT: Looking at it again, it looks much more legible. At the time that I wrote the above comment I was on a mini laptop, so be aware that it may be less readable for people with smaller screens.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 01:54:15 am by PsylentKnight »
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline carelesslabs

• View Profile

I have changed a few things and started working on the next character. Those goggles are supposed to be safety glasses, maybe they could look much better!

I have kept the images a little larger so that I can add some shading when I learn how. I have tried to put some more detail on the faces but its not very good.

Main Characters

New Character Reference

Offline carelesslabs

• View Profile
More progress

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 03:42:10 am by carelesslabs »