AuthorTopic: SHMUP Progress  (Read 5765 times)

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Re: SHMUP Progress

Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 05:23:32 am
Not a problem man. Glad I could help! This is a really neat looking sprite. Has lots of character. Reminds me of some of the old megaman baddies, but in a shooter. It just needed a little more TLC, that's all. :)

You should think of a sprite as layers of value (light and dark) and place a wide amount of dark, less moderately dark, a little of the base color, and almost no highlight color except where necessary on shiny/glossy surfaces (such as the spike I edited in this sprite.) If you wanted to make this guy appear more icky, you could consider adding a single pixel on the spheres as a specular highlight, but I left it out, not certain of how shiny you wanted him. Great job on the hue-shifting though. :)
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Delibrete

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 08:55:37 am
Thanks!

Here is the new update:

I like the direction it's heading, but what can be improved here? I feel like it's almost there (or am I wayyy off?)

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 09:09:36 am
Looks much better. A few issues

- The light source isn't really clear. All the major spheres (including the eye) indicate different light sources. The teeth are darker on all sides, like some form of pillowshading.
- The design itself could be improved a bit, I think. In the original sketch, there was a bigger sphere behind the body of the ship, like a spider's abdomen. It made the ship more interesting.
- Is the eye supposed to be able to look ahead of the ship? Because now the whole ship looks very flat indeed, and the eyeball is on a flat surface between a ring of spheres, being unable to look anywhere but directly above the ship. Was that intentional? If you want the eye to be able to see where the ship is going, then you need to slope the center mass of the ship, like a hill. And if you just intend the eyeball to rest on a flat surface like a meatball on a pizza, then you have to make sure that it's in a top down perspective, like the rest of the ship.

Offline Delibrete

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 10:15:54 am
- The light source isn't really clear. All the major spheres (including the eye) indicate different light sources. The teeth are darker on all sides, like some form of pillowshading.

I was actually trying to have the light source coming from the front, left and right of the ship. Is that a bad thing? I can make it just come from the front. The teeth were rushed in 2 minutes so I should redo them (I'm also not happy with the teeth's colour).

- The design itself could be improved a bit, I think. In the original sketch, there was a bigger sphere behind the body of the ship, like a spider's abdomen. It made the ship more interesting.

It's actually going to be a snake-like boss, and the big sphere thing behind it was supposed to be part of it's neck where there will be multiple spheres to make up the rest of the neck. I was going to add that in later.

- Is the eye supposed to be able to look ahead of the ship? Because now the whole ship looks very flat indeed, and the eyeball is on a flat surface between a ring of spheres, being unable to look anywhere but directly above the ship. Was that intentional? If you want the eye to be able to see where the ship is going, then you need to slope the center mass of the ship, like a hill. And if you just intend the eyeball to rest on a flat surface like a meatball on a pizza, then you have to make sure that it's in a top down perspective, like the rest of the ship.

The eye was also pretty quickly done and it's supposed to look ahead as if it's coming out of the top and not laying flat. What did you mean by slop the center mass of the ship? I might redo the eye so it looks like it's popping out a little more.

Thanks for the reply :)

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 10:30:47 am
Yeah, having the light come from all sides is a bad thing. It looks better to have it from one direction, because multiple light sources = multiple shadows, and it's hard to make it look good, especially on a very small sprite. I guess most SHMUPs have the top or the bottom of the screen as the light source.

Here's what I mean about raising the eye up. You have to create depth with your light and shadow, and right now the whole ship looks flat. So it looks like the eye is stuck on a flat surface.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:33:29 am by cels »

Offline Delibrete

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 11:07:42 am
Thanks for the diagram :) I get what you mean now. I might try and work on some depth for it tomorrow. I've been told that the eye needs redoing and the colours are somewhat odd as well. Thanks :)