AuthorTopic: [WIP] Small MS Word Icon + [C+C] Other Icons.  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Intersocial

• View Profile

[WIP] Small MS Word Icon + [C+C] Other Icons.

on: March 30, 2014, 04:02:45 pm
Heyyy. I'm a bit stuck on something and I need some advice on where I'm actually meant to go from here:

It's meant to be a smaller version of the MS Word 2007 logo (incomplete) and the design is meant to end up similar to the 'style' used by all the ''badges'' here - http://www.habborator.org/badges/.  The problem I'm having is that the piece of paper just doesn't seem... right? I know the W <should> be at an angle, but I prefer it like that, alas the blue lines on the paper don't look like they fit in and I can't tell A) What's wrong with them or B) Whether I'm just going mad.

I also did two other icons last night out of boredom, so it'd be nice to see if you guys have anything to say about them :P [first is MS Office 2007 logo and second is WinRar logo).

p.s. sorry the first icon doesn't have transparent background.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:11:40 pm by Intersocial »

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Re: [WIP] Small MS Word Icon + [C+C] Other Icons.

Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 08:43:47 pm
The bottom 2 lines taper off -- that's the problem. You should continue the squared off line style of the top two lines of the paper. Just add a pixel to the top of the tapers and you should be mostly set.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Intersocial

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 11:43:27 pm
The bottom 2 lines taper off -- that's the problem. You should continue the squared off line style of the top two lines of the paper. Just add a pixel to the top of the tapers and you should be mostly set.

Am very tired so forgive me if I misunderstood, is that what you were implying?

or am I not even close haha. Thank you for helping though :}

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 01:07:58 am
I did an edit this morning but wound up not saving it, cause it basically soloved all your problems for you.  I think you should get rid of all the dithering, and add AA.  you can aa the lines on the paper, the outline of the paper (on the inside) and the part of the white line on the background shape where it curves.  I used 2 colors for AA and it worked pretty good.

Offline Intersocial

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 01:19:26 am
I did an edit this morning but wound up not saving it, cause it basically soloved all your problems for you.  I think you should get rid of all the dithering, and add AA.  you can aa the lines on the paper, the outline of the paper (on the inside) and the part of the white line on the background shape where it curves.  I used 2 colors for AA and it worked pretty good.

Grr I keep forgetting where the quote button is  :P

Yeah I did realise in the end that dithering was a bit silly on such a small scale haha, and do you realise how long I have spent thinking you're not meant to use AA on pixel art damn haha I'm such a rookie. Thank you for your help I will give the update a go tomorrow morning :}.

Offline Intersocial

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 02:18:37 am
Okkk i cant sleep so i did the aa now

have a feeling there's something wrong with it on the right hand side (inside) of the white paper. Not too sure thoughhh cause my eyes are so strained rn.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:41:42 am by Intersocial »

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 03:34:18 am
the AA colors are backwards in a couple spots.  make sure the darker AA color is always closer to the darker color youre AAing into.  You could probably make the lightest AA colors slightly lighter too.

Also, where the white curved line connects with where the line is straight, it looks a little jagged there.  I think the upper right hand corner of the paper looks a little rounded, where it should be a sharp corner.

And this is just my opinion on the design, but the way you increased the size of the blue block in the background makes the paper seem really tiny.  I think the size it was before was fine, and if youre going to increase the size of it the paper should scale with it accordingly. 

Offline Intersocial

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 05:04:53 am
the AA colors are backwards in a couple spots.  make sure the darker AA color is always closer to the darker color youre AAing into.  You could probably make the lightest AA colors slightly lighter too.

Also, where the white curved line connects with where the line is straight, it looks a little jagged there.  I think the upper right hand corner of the paper looks a little rounded, where it should be a sharp corner.

And this is just my opinion on the design, but the way you increased the size of the blue block in the background makes the paper seem really tiny.  I think the size it was before was fine, and if youre going to increase the size of it the paper should scale with it accordingly.

Ok thank you so much for your help haha, I'll update it in the morning and show you how far I've got then :)

Offline Intersocial

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 12:19:50 pm

Hey sorry for double quote, this is version so far:

I still think the white line is jagged haha, I couldn't seem to fix it no matter what I tried :/. I followed everything else you said, but when I made some of the ''AA pixels'' lighter the AA effect got worse on some places so I only changed a couple of px.

I hope I haven't done anything else super bad haha, and I changed the size back to the previous :}.