AuthorTopic: Isometric animations  (Read 4285 times)

Offline toaster

• View Profile

Isometric animations

on: March 08, 2014, 02:20:21 pm
Hi there,
I have been working on these animations for a little stealth game I'm making. First  time for me doing anything isometric, so I figured I could use some feedback. What do you think?

Stance:

Walking:
=> =>
=>
Pressing against a wall, moving and stepping away:

Choking out a policeman:
=>
=>

Edit:
Climbing[WIP]:
=> => =>

Jumping down:

Crouching:

=>

=> =>
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:40:54 am by toaster »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: Isometric animations

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 06:42:09 pm
Walking, 1st animation:
The furthest arm seems too close to the torso. Doesn't show enough at the peak of the swing.
The legs look too far apart. The places where each of the feet step are too far apart. (I'd change the furthest leg)
The closest arm moves too much into the torso. The upper part moves way too much, looks as if the shoulder was unhinged ::)
The arms seem of different lengths, the right one being shorter than the left one.

Walking, 2nd:
Again, the paces seem too outward, and the right arm seems a bit shorter than the left one.

Moving against wall, 1st:
I think there is a small change of perspective between the character looking forward and the character looking backward.
Trace a line that passes through both feet in the two instances, and see whether they're parallel enough.

Moving against wall, 2nd:
The right foot bugs out a little at the end.

Choking out 2nd:
The talon of foot that stays back has to go up as the foot bends. It's anatomically impossible to leave the back foot completely planted on the ground when you kneel forward (try it out yourself, you'll see you can't, even if you wanted to :lol:) To show that it does, you should have a lighter gray color for the shoe sole.

The mass of the legs seems to vanish as the character kneels down. You should have the upper part of the right leg pop out forward to avoid this. (on both the first and second animations)

Climbing:
Again, there is an apparent loss of mass as the character hunches over (become a little dwarf in the last frames).

Colors:
I advise you don't use dithering (doesn't look good in such low resolution), and instead use a lighter color than what you have for the jeans' shadows. (or maybe add a third one as middle-ground)

Overall, cool and interesting animations  :y:

Offline toaster

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 09:43:20 am
Thank you for your comment Yellowlime, really helpfull.
I edited my first post with some new versions.
The walking:
Made some minor changes to the legs and arms. I will experiment some more with it.
Moving against wall:
removed the feet thingy. It was meant as a small last step, but it looks better without it.
The choking:
Great tip about the leg. I changed it in both animations.
I also got rid of the dithering. It wasn't intended to be like that, but the animation program I am using kept changing the images.

Offline toaster

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 12:49:43 pm
I have added some new climbing and crouching related animations. But I am struggling with the crouchwalk-animation:

I can't get it to look natural. Any suggestions on how to improve?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 03:32:36 pm
I know it's been a while since you posted that crouch animation, but I think what doesnt look natural is that for crouching that low,  is that he's balancing himself only with his arms, as if he was walking upright. I just tried walking like that and it IS possible to balance mostly like that but it is a lot of work, you'll wobble blackwards and forwards a little bit even if you're careful. if you want it make it look very natural have him wobble more than a bit, make it more like one of those sneaking walks where most of the movement is balancing the torso backwards and forwards as means of getting the impulse to make the step.

I love the animations here, some of the first ones are a little silly and funny, but they kind of remind me of tintin(comic not the movie) and they could definitively work to make your game stand out. Humor doesnt have to be a flaw at all, as long as it coincides with your goal, but if it isnt your goal you should deffinitively tweak them as you've already been advised to.

Offline toaster

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 11:47:40 am
Thank you for your reaction. I have started from scratch and made this:

I changed the shaped and bounce. I think it looks at least less unnatural now.