AuthorTopic: Cute Girl Action RPG Sprite  (Read 7828 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Cute Girl Action RPG Sprite

Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 06:16:56 am
Use the new sprite with the old color combination, which had better separation/ readability. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. :y:

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 05:24:20 pm
I have a feeling there is a chance that the colors might look better in context.... who knows?

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 08:30:50 pm
That looks really good. Quite a change. You should post a scene some time so we can see the overall style you're aiming for as well.
In the meantime, I tried fixing a few things I noticed (without changing the colour scheme).

So I started by removing a lot of the highlighting from the shoe, which I thought would never get that much sun underneath a dress.
Then I made the dress more round as it looked to me as though it was almost an apron with how high it was going by the sides.
Her hair is also very dark in yours, which I realise has to do with the whole differentiating between the hairband and hair, so instead I increased the saturation in both hair and hairband and lit the hair up properly. I think it works. Could mess with the hair a bit more and put a few darker pixels in to really give it depth, but 'tis readable.
Removed so much banding (some which I had made, some that existed).
I noticed her right hand looks further forward as well as her left leg, but the shading did not show such, so I added more light to her cloak on her right arm and more light to the left side of her dress (our right).
I had to add an extra colour or two in all this, so I just cleaned up a few similar colours from your palette (like unnecessarily dark colours that I just made black and the dark blue/purple which I made one colour).
Also tried to make the hair and cloak more separate.

There are a few other things like maybe making the shoes smaller/further back. Her hair looks like it's in a pony tail, but in the diagonal picture her hair is all down (in the back view her hair looks really short as well - it should go over the hood).

Hopefully you find this useful and good luck going forward.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Sunjammer

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 05:04:01 am
learned a bunch about doing heads. the forward bangs style is hard to get looking as good as many other hair styles but i want it so bad!!

cloak is questionable i think, i've tried so many variations and looked at tons of sprite cloaks but am tired of looking at it for now. going for a 3value + shadow thing to keep sprites uncomplicated to animate without going super modern flat.

my colors here are so bad, trying to get them communicating a very dark surreal/gothic game but not getting anywhere close!

some variations. don't know if i need the lighter value on the cloak

the values get muddy in grayscale but the hues separate them in color so idk??

there's mega ultra omega world shattering banding in the center of the body that i don't know how to get around

(unrelated) i find larger sprites much much easier for some reason

ambivorous, i implemented your advice into a previous version of the sprite and learned from it even though it may not be apparent in these, thanks!

rip me apart, i can take it >:3
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:34:13 am by Sunjammer »

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 03:54:50 pm
Appreciated advice is advice I'll happily give more of.

I like these; I like the style; the second girl from the right looks almost like Lightning and that's awesome.
Larger sprites have more pixels to work with, so in some ways it is easier.

And yeah this is so far from gothic it's not even funny. My edit is even further away. I'll let someone else deal with that.

You'll notice my sprite is pretty readable in greyscale. That was accidental (well I was trying to make it readable with colour, but the fact it's readable in greyscale is purely a result of good practice and not something I was intentionally aiming for).

I kept the perspective inline with her head. Perhaps you'd rather like to change the perspective of the head than the rest of the body.
I was only concerned with readability and consistent lighting with what I imagined her clothes to look like, so I lost a lot of your feel (which I really like, so try to learn stuff from this and apply it to your style).
I added outlines around the rest of your piece the way your hair/head has outlines. Again you could rather remove all outlines, or go for some sort of mix, but make sure it's consistent.

The biggest thing I think you're getting wrong is the amount of light you let reach the lower parts of your sprites and how often you'll have dark shadows in places that should be getting their fair share of light. They almost look as though they have a fluorescent tube flying horizontally in front of them. It's kind of a tricky concept, so I don't know how to get it across easily. I am doing value studies just to learn how it works better. Maybe you can try some of those?
Hopefully someone else can shed some light on the topic.
* may contain misinformation