AuthorTopic: perspective help?  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

perspective help?

on: July 23, 2006, 01:11:38 am

Quick sketch i did that i want to properly pixel. i need help on the perspective and the legs of the falling/jumping character.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: perspective help?

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 04:08:04 am
its kinda hard to make out what is happening..
it seems like he is falling and theres a rocky bridge above him with a few people on it, and we're viewing the creature from below?
is that right?

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 04:55:25 am
yessir.
thanks Dogmeat!

yosh64

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 05:01:57 am
hey

I think it would be cool if you had the monster leaning right back, showing a frightful expression on his face (having his face largest / very close to the viewer), or something alike? :)

cya
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 05:04:44 am by yosh64 »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 05:24:36 am
its kinda hard to guage given that its all rocky cliffs rather than some buildings and a bridge
for the most part, it looks right except for the people ontop looking down, I think you see too much of them, considering the angle theyd probably fall too :P

and the design, pretty cool, Its an interesting perspective.. but still its something I feel has been done a lot.. a nameless character falling to certain death while onlookers are helpless.. how about some outstretched hands ready to catch the falling person?
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 07:40:51 am
aiight so
lets get down and dirty....

i had a look at this perspective and it didnt feel right to me
so i decided to take abit of a closer look
whether intended or not, i picked out 3 different perspectives being used - distance (length and width), and depth.
from where i am viewing, it is as if i am laying on my back in a canyon with the cliffs trailing off into the distance, a bridge overtop of me, and im lying at a bit of angle to the cliffs making the width of the bridge vary as it goes and comes from me.

now that i understand what im looking at, i decided to look at the perspective lines/angles. it seems to me that you only really got the vanishing cliffs (distance length) right. Since you only used two lines for it, it seems to work out just fine.
Next lets look at the distance width. the bridge lines are running parralell to each other. the lines should only be paralell if you are looking directly straight at it, which we most certainly are not. When looking at it what made sense to me was to have the right side narrower, and the left side widen.
lastly lets look at depth. you seem to have the basically the right idea on the left side. the only problem there is that the vanishing point occurs too quickly. On the right side you have the angles reversed thinning at the bottom, and spanning on top, when it should be reversed. Then the lines intersect differently with the other two from the left side.
this may all be alittle confusing in words, so i made a quick edit for you, to hopefully get the basic idea:

the blue/purple represents distance length
the green represents distance width
the red represents depth

looking at that, it looks like just a mish-mash of lines. not really sure exactly what is all going on.

so i decided to make you another edit to show what i think would be more appropriate perspective lines.
i left the blue (distance length) exactly the same.
I took green and narrowed it on the right side, and widend on the right to form that perspective better, its not much, not a huge difference than the parallel lines, but enough that you can feel the difference. i threw in another line that i noticed after and felt it will help with this example
Lastly red, the depth i fixed up the most. I left the second line from the left the same. Put the vanishing point at the top (just for demo purpose), and then drew in the rest of the lines. With the right side lines, i drew the perspective lines where it was about the average/middle of it.

those are my thoughts on the perspective. right or wrong, maby itll help atleast.
i appologize now for using wrong terminology, hopefully you can understand that though

my last comments im going to make are in regards to the person falling. It appears that you want him to have his arms to the side of him for balance, and his feet below getting ready to land - one foot slightly extended further than the other.
WELL, now that we have taken alook at our perspective, lets apply that here now.
imagine if you will, lines drawn from his feet to his hands - that creates similar lines to our distance length(blue). Which is implying that he is now lying down parallel to the ground, and opposed to making a nice graceful landing, it will make a rahter gross splat as everything will hit the ground at the same time.
What needs to be utilized is our depth (red) lines. Skinnier by the head, wider by the base. So when you do this it creates foreshortening where you will see perhaps the bottoms of the feet, the shins and knees, upper torso, and head. You will most likely loose (im just guessing though imaginning) tops of feet (well depends in what position), thighs, lower torso. In whatever position you put him though, it should be foreshortened, coming towards you.
I dont think that green will apply much (or dont even bother with it) for the person.

hope that helps abit.