AuthorTopic: GR#174 Cosmos-X game Mockup - RPG view Gameart  (Read 18918 times)

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: Cosmos-X game mockup

Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 01:02:21 am
Ship is coming along well. Still somewhat narrow in terms of perspective, but nothing outrageous.
I don't like how it fills up all the space between the platforms though, messes the composition. Either shorten it a bit, or the platforms.
Are the blue patches supposed to be scratches? They look out of style.
One trick for adding wear to metal objects is to concentrate on the edges, where paint would flake most and metal underneath be worn glossy, more so than on flat surfaces: this is pixeled by brightening and desaturating edge and neighboring pixels according to their exposure (edginess). An example coming to mind is Carnivac's avatar, I know I've seen it done more prominently elsewhere too.

I've just noticed the small hexagonal raised platform at right bugs me, not sure why. It draws attention a lot, and it's shape doesn't really fit, even if the angles do.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 11:40:42 pm
Thanks for your continued help, guys.

- I've barely begun working on the hue shifting on the planet in the background, from purple to orange. It may take a while to find something that looks good without being too prominent and eye-catching.
- I've marked the way to enter the ship on the platform. Agent00X, there is no useless door, it's just an access hatch for maintenance and such.
- I've tried to alter the dimensions of the ship.
- Manupix, I see what you mean about desaturating edges to make them look worn down. But I wanted to make the space ship look more like it's crashed into something or been hit by debris and asteroids, rather than the kind of wear and tear that you'd see on the edges of a military jeep or something like that.
- Changed the hexagonal platform. I want some kind of structure there, so that the docking bay isn't just a big, boring, flat U-shape in space.
- Made some changes to the UI, to make it less... ugly. Hopefully.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 11:54:17 pm
Its looks pretty amazing.. The planet needs AA.. Those angles are pretty sharp...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:55:51 pm by Beetleking22 »