AuthorTopic: GR#166 - INFilstrUcTURE - Gameboy RPG-view Gameart  (Read 11811 times)

Offline alex pang

• View Profile

Re: INFilstrUcTURE (gameboy, scifi)

Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 07:13:59 am
I've been watching this thread and I'm liking it. Am I the only one that thinks the floor should be the lighter value and the walls and ceiling the darker one?
Ill do a test on that, but my gut feeling says no.
(Will update with two mockups)
(Also Arachne (reminds me of starship troopers.) the small symbols are land mines.)
They will activate when you are close, and explode after two? seconds, so you can use them as weapons against your enemies if you are quick. Or get yourself killed if you are stupid :P

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:10:20 pm by alex pang »

Offline alex pang

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 09:39:34 am

Update! and bump

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 10:28:46 am
I cant wait to play this! not a fan of those huge shadows myself though. obviously its intentionally not realistic lighting, but if the shadow is at the same angle where the light meets the corners of the blocks, wouldnt it cast a shadow the same length on the side as well as the top? that makes it look strange to me

ive circled that in green and changed the shadow circled in red

could maybe maybe even lessen the shadow at the top a pixel more because those blocks are shaped like /_\  i think

Offline alex pang

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 04:11:29 pm
Experimented some, better?

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 10:14:39 pm
yeah i think so!

its tough because of the retro perspective. make the shadows too realistic when the perspective is not could lead to pains in the arse area

^ image number 1 is how id probably do it, keep it simple and have the shadows ignore the perceived upwards tapering of certain walls.

image number 2 was my attempt at getting the angles of the shadows more realistic on the sloped walls but im not a fan

in both images i made the shadow cast by the door narrower, moved the triangular shadow on the other side of the door in a bit so it was flush with the corner, and knocked a pixel off horizontal shadows for a little illusion of perspective