AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1372219 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #1970 on: March 04, 2016, 11:38:05 pm
I disagree

I disagree with your disagreement

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #1971 on: March 04, 2016, 11:38:55 pm
I disagree

Care to explain why? I'm always grateful for advice like Prism just gave to Wolfenoctis. Even if it's just something to keep in mind. Yesterday someone close to me pointed out all my faces have my own face's feature distribution and ratios. It was something I hadn't noticed, and my gratitude was overwhelming.

For what its worth, I agree that Wolfenoctis could benefit from some studying some different body types or something. They are his own personal sketches, so what he does is up to him, but it's brought up out of good intentions, of not wanting to see a member of a community stagnate or plateau.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #1972 on: March 04, 2016, 11:56:43 pm
K, so the slack convinced me to elaborate. I will do so :)

Basically, first off, I don't think Wolfenoctis is "there yet" with his gestural studies. They don't feature a lot of anatomical knowledge, besides proportions, so the subject matter shouldn't matter much. Once he starts going in-depth with anatomy, I do recommend doing different body types, as idealized figures are maybe overused in teaching.

Secondly, we have a tendency in western society to go for variety when we learn something. Usually this is counter-productive and a result of a global ADHD society. Wolfenoctis is focusing on a subject (one that he hasn't mastered yet) and we shouldn't advise him to break that focus.

There is a time for flexing your art muscles, pushing that comfort zone, but focused studies is not that time. I highly doubt that a few exercises in random subject matters will improve his skill much, though it might provide insights that let him refocus his studies.

And lastly, very important, I very adamantly disagree that these studies aren't advancing his skillset much. The studies I've seen from wolfenoctis are wonderful and make me coming back to this thread. It makes me cheer him on and I think what he's doing is exactly what more people should be doing. So when someone comes in and says he's not improving his skillset doing these? I disagree :)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #1973 on: March 05, 2016, 12:34:18 am
K, so the slack convinced me to elaborate. I will do so :)
It should not take a chat room to convince you. It's extemely rude to just disagree and walk away.
Basically, first off, I don't think Wolfenoctis is "there yet" with his gestural studies. They don't feature a lot of anatomical knowledge, besides proportions, so the subject matter shouldn't matter much. Once he starts going in-depth with anatomy, I do recommend doing different body types, as idealized figures are maybe overused in teaching.
You can study a lot of things at once. How do you think people get to be world renowned concept artists and illustrators in their 20s? They diversify. Everyone gets by with varying levels of "good enough". You shouldn't have to perfect one thing at a time. And art is such an interconnected subject to study. Studying fruit could lead you to an epiphany about some mildly related body part that has similar overlapping forms.

Secondly, we have a tendency in western society to go for variety when we learn something. Usually this is counter-productive and a result of a global ADHD society.
This "global ADHD society" sounds like a personal theory or sore spot of yours and I'm not sure how many people would agree with its relevance to studying art. You know what I see? Comfort zones. Crutches. Laziness. Ruts. In society, I see these most often. Diligence is rare. It is not ADHD.
Wolfenoctis is focusing on a subject (one that he hasn't mastered yet) and we shouldn't advise him to break that focus.
There is no harm in offering a differing opinion to someone. Its not like he's a robot being issued commands and we need to be careful about suggestions. People have their own discretion, why would you want to seemingly shut down well intentioned advice.? I think it is fine if Wolfenoctis is offered a different perspective that causes him to question his focus.

edit: sincerest apologies for that sentence
There is a time for flexing your art muscles, pushing that comfort zone, but focused studies is not that time. I highly doubt that a few exercises in random subject matters will improve his skill much, though it might provide insights that let him refocus his studies.
I.. From experience I can tell you you're very wrong about the first part. Every waking moment is an opportunity to grow and to realize new things. And I highly expect a few cursory studies to the well practiced artist are substantial enough to understand new material at a usable level.

And lastly, very important, I very adamantly disagree that these studies aren't advancing his skillset much. The studies I've seen from wolfenoctis are wonderful and make me coming back to this thread. It makes me cheer him on and I think what he's doing is exactly what more people should be doing. So when someone comes in and says he's not improving his skillset doing these? I disagree :)
No, I will be blunt, but I just see the same anime girl. I am elated when I come to this thread and see him studying something else, like animation or environments. This was advice that should have been given a while ago but people are generally self absorbed because we are too busy. We hardly talk to each other, we just throw our art in here and leave. I don't desire this behavior, so I'll try to change on my part. I wish I'd given this same advice sooner. I wish people gave me advice like this. Good on Prism. This is how we should treat each other. With care and respect, genuinely concerned for the wellbeing and advancement of each others talent.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 12:52:38 am by Atnas »

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #1974 on: March 05, 2016, 05:16:54 am
Thanks for all the feedback guys  ;D
Your pose drawings are of a consistent quality.
No, I will be blunt, but I just see the same anime girl.
Both are correct of course and that is because it is the same anime girl and consistency is the point these exercises, the eventual goal being animation. I absolutely agree that varying the body types and doing other things like environments are great ways to increase skill and learn new things. However as Gil has aptly observed:
Basically, first off, I don't think Wolfenoctis is "there yet" with his gestural studies.
Indeed, there are a lot of problems that I still need to solve regarding flow, dynamism and perspective.

During the week I do full time commercial work so I'm not particularly creative at the end of the day when I do my daily sketch, so I usually just do some poses using the same character to "practice my sword arm" as it were. I generally have more free time on weekends so that is when I'm more likely to experiment and do other things. But as Atnas mentioned, maybe I'm just using it as a crutch, an excuse for my own laziness.

Maybe I should vary things up a bit...

I will take these suggestions into consideration, it is heartwarming to see these kinds of discussions and I truly appreciate everyone's input on the matter. Debating these points is a healthy and good thing for the community in general, and for me in particular.

Thank you very much :y:

Edit: Some tree trunk practice

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 02:15:13 pm by wolfenoctis »

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #1975 on: March 06, 2016, 10:50:17 am
Another cheap mirror.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #1976 on: March 06, 2016, 01:53:38 pm
Testing a technique that seems like it might be the CG equivalent of selout, for any simple alpha-transparency:

On a dark grey BG here

Technique is essentially to modify pixel color according to transparency level: fully opaque pixels are of color X, fully transparent of color Y, in-between levels of transparency interpolations between X and Y.

Result seems to be that the image is at least moderately visible, no matter the background color.

(that's a technical explanation. But it's easy to do with Color to Alpha, layer masks, and QMask mode.)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #1977 on: March 06, 2016, 05:27:11 pm

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #1978 on: March 07, 2016, 04:30:02 pm

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #1979 on: March 07, 2016, 07:32:22 pm
Do you know who's been naughty and not been doing dailies?
... :(

Nice work, Wolf. Everything is looking awesome.
Thanks for sharing the waves .gif Alex!

I'm a smidgen out of practice.
* may contain misinformation