AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1368831 times)

Offline tomic

• red is my green, but yellow is yellow.
    • @tomicpixel
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=6236&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • pixeltom
    • View Profile
    • piexeln.de

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #990 on: January 02, 2015, 10:03:14 am
vacation day doodles

looking forward to the secret santa hexqusite corps 2017

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #991 on: January 03, 2015, 07:36:06 am
happy new yearr! resolution to post more I guess

mockup sketch for a freelance job i hope to get

Offline RAV

• View Profile
    • Blackbox Voxel Tool

Reply #992 on: January 03, 2015, 06:08:10 pm
I felt that in my last shot, the house actually was sort of... uncanny compared to the GBA version. A new sort of uncanny introduced by a dynamic perspective. It would seem, if a design is too simplified it can feel uncanny when viewed too close. Every sort of detail has its ideal distance. Apparently the brain has basic expectations on detail to distance. When viewed from afar, it accepts less detail and even unrealistic detail, in the assumption there is more detail and more correct detail when going closer. You might even say, it's about managing a suspense of disbelieve in the detail/distance.

Conversely, too much cramped detail far away may be uncanny as well, but first looks just too busy/noisy to be of any other concern.

Normally, this is less of a problem in pixelart, since the artist has absolute and final control on the perspective, and plans the design fit accordingly from inception.
As well as there have been developed accepted norms of designs for certain scenes.

That too is the reason why a well made dynamic level of detail system is important the more dynamic the view on the scene is, aesthetically as much as for performance concerns.

The following scene overview is more akin to the GBA sample that the house was designed for, with a bigger shop sign above door accordingly:

Hrrrrm, but I'm not quite so sure yet. Maybe it's the different iso angle on the scene compared to the classic oblique perspective. Or the different colours. Or resolution. Or maybe the contrasting detail of the unfinished surroundings messes with my senses. or is it an imbalance of detail between rooftop and lower stage of house? Is something amiss?

Your senses are more refined, does it look strange to you? or fine? for what it is? Does it look just like a soulless render, or does the simple design maintain its charm in translation?

So basically, I wonder if these designs/forms/abstractions and graphical "tropes" that worked for GBA kinda games are mostly tied to their exact conditions of implementation, like resolution and perspective, and the moment you go beyond these conditions it looks sorta stupid? Does it? How big is a need for entirely new standards of design in this new medium to start with, or do the old standards suffice? slightly revised? These are the questions weighing heavily on my mind.

Well, it's prolly fine for what it is, looks fun enough. I'm making up weird esoteric problems just so I don't have to face the real problems of my work. way to procrastinate. ;p

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:03:43 am by RAV »

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #993 on: January 04, 2015, 01:19:43 am
@RAV
Honestly, nothing bothered me at all in the previous version. Maybe you could have fiddled a bit with FOV if you thought something was wrong, but it looked totally good to me...
I like the bigger sign, though.
And the ground is kinda meh compared to the cute detailled house  :lol:

Not -REALLY- a sketch... But I wanted to post this somewhere~
Technically it's a Screenshot saturday, soooo...

Offline RAV

• View Profile
    • Blackbox Voxel Tool

Reply #994 on: January 04, 2015, 02:24:48 am
Alright, Elian, I take your word for it. =) If it doesn't bother someone like you, it can't be that bad.

It's a goal of the project to enable an aesthetics different than being or looking low-poly or very blocky.
So whenever it's not showing that technical effort obviously, I kinda tend to somehow explain why that's bad, when there's really nothing bad about that.

Simplified designs are a fun part of the game like it always has been to pixel art itself, so that's how it can end up geometrically, more or less directly translated.
But I want to see all sorts of designs and scene complexity explored eventually. Even your latest piece has quite a higher requirement when interpreted fully 3d.

P.S. I guess the crappy unfinished terrain really made the house shine, huh. lol

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 03:22:40 am by RAV »

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #995 on: January 06, 2015, 12:56:40 am
Someone like me? Man, I'm saying this as your random "oh this look good" guy don't take my word for granted, especially in 3D  :-X
And it does look low-poly/blocky, but the way the doors and sign are slightly "popping out" breaks that a bit.
But yeah, it just look simple, clean and cool to me. :)

Officially announced my collaboration with Zack Bell to bring you a cool game this year.
Hope to bring you super cool pixels this year, everyone <3

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #996 on: January 06, 2015, 09:05:44 am
Someone like me? Man, I'm saying this as your random "oh this look good" guy don't take my word for granted, especially in 3D  :-X
And it does look low-poly/blocky, but the way the doors and sign are slightly "popping out" breaks that a bit.
But yeah, it just look simple, clean and cool to me. :)

Officially announced my collaboration with Zack Bell to bring you a cool game this year.
Hope to bring you super cool pixels this year, everyone <3

Already saw this on tumblr :) Looks good and also sounds very nice. Good luck with that, can't wait to play it!
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #997 on: January 06, 2015, 05:13:30 pm
tomic, Cool stuff! Like your style :)

Ellian, good luck with the project! Looks cool :crazy:

Something for the PixelJoint challenge... forced to use at least 4 of the 16 Pantone colors of the year since the year 2000.

Happy 100th Daily Sketch page! And in less than a year... not bad! :lol:

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #998 on: January 06, 2015, 05:14:24 pm
great news ellian :D good luck

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #999 on: January 07, 2015, 02:53:08 am
Great stuff in here.

Atnas:
Yes please :)

RAV:
Why you doubt so hard?
I like it.

Ellian:
Dopetastic.

Alcopop:
Really like those faces.
Lots of variety and angles.
Yum.

Been on a coding streak, haven't drawn in a while.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1