AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1350823 times)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #120 on: February 15, 2014, 04:17:36 am
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #121 on: February 15, 2014, 04:47:49 am
I tried again;wasn't too bad this time.  The proportions were just way off in the last one

about 30 minutes plus 5 to color.
(edit)
Ah hell, I forgot the windshield wipers.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:56:15 am by |||| »

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #122 on: February 15, 2014, 06:19:08 am

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #123 on: February 15, 2014, 11:04:24 am
I guess for me the reason I wasn't very interested in posting was because it didn't get any sort of reaction. I don't demand people to comment but usually I don't feel very motivated to take the trouble of sharing something in a given place if nothing seems to happen.
Not all reactions are verbal.
And not all verbal reactions will return to you.
Things always happen, even if it seems like nothing does.

I quite enjoyed Honk honk and Cluck cluck.
And I wonder what the snake says.  ???
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #124 on: February 15, 2014, 11:07:07 am
weekend huzza!

@Ymedron: cool it's the first page of a comic or just a sequential artwork sketch? Love the perspective and depth of the 6th panel.
@Lijj: if you see what's off, just try it another time and try to get it right. The forms are nice
@surt: for what's it?

Took the time to carefully construct torsos and arms

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #125 on: February 15, 2014, 11:26:58 am
Sketch mode activated.
Trying to teach myself how to draw simple toony characters.

@ ||||   Whoa, sweet car. I love that. Perfect. 35mins seems really fast for that.
And thanks for the Photoshop rundown.

@ Cyan   Thanks for the warrior/lion face bit. I'm going to remember that. Very helpful.

@ Ymedron   That's really cool. A storyboard eh? Keep it coming. Post more.

About pencils
I think they're all similar enough not to care about brands, especially the ones that overcharge because they're an "art brand". It's the hardness scale you should care about.
9B (softest) - 9H (hardest). HB is right in the middle.
9B, 8B, 7B . . . HB, 1H, 2H . . . 9H. The variable "hardness" is modified by changing the ratio of graphite to clay in the pencil's mixture, during manufacturing. More graphite = softer. More clay = harder.
Really hard pencils are annoying because they can carve into the paper and make erasing more difficult or impossible, but don't require sharpening as often.
I like soft pencils. Got an electric pencil sharpener beside  my drafting table so no problem.
I just buy the cheap-o HB's.
I'd venture to say that paper matters more than pencils. You want smooth, non-textured paper for fine, detaily sketching, and if you're after smooth gradation/shading.
Tools don't matter. Skill is all that matters. GET YER SKETCH ON
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:30:35 am by Mathias »

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #126 on: February 15, 2014, 12:03:37 pm
I guess for me the reason I wasn't very interested in posting was because it didn't get any sort of reaction. I don't demand people to comment but usually I don't feel very motivated to take the trouble of sharing something in a given place if nothing seems to happen.
Not all reactions are verbal.
And not all verbal reactions will return to you.
Things always happen, even if it seems like nothing does.

I quite enjoyed Honk honk and Cluck cluck.
And I wonder what the snake says.  ???
I guess that's true, I always take a "no news means nothing happened" approach to online communication. A difficult time.

@Cyangmou, Mathias:
It's a re-arranging of a comic I did for the yearly publication my school always does - the topic of the book-thing is "world-improvement", which is a frustatingly open topic actually...
The storyboardy look probably comes from the focus in the individual events? Oh well.

I was feeling really uncomfortable about the fact that I have no idea how to draw or design cars, guns or other mechanical objects.

I should remember to comment on people too.
--
Surt: The designs have a good natural feeling to them, very nice. I especially love the line-style and detailing of the sky jelly.

Cyang: The torso-pic has a very good sense of line. Very confident. I mainly keep looking at the middle drawing's torso and the chest area on the right.

Mathias: I like the running-sketch on the far left, also the demon/alien dudes below that.
You could push the poses to be even more... Animated? Exteme? Taking the direction of the movement and just pulling the whole character through the funnel of movement. That probably sounds pretty weird.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #127 on: February 15, 2014, 02:24:52 pm
I agree with Ymedron, it's nice if there's some interactions as opposed to a series of drawings.

@Ymedron: Cool mech! Not sure how it's related to world improvement though  :lol:.

Also: |||: that car looks sweet, I like the colors. Nothing to be ashamed about for sure.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #128 on: February 15, 2014, 02:50:32 pm
Sketches while screen-sharing with Cyangmou and Zizka.

I guess that's true, I always take a "no news means nothing happened" approach to online communication. A difficult time.
It's cool I can see what you mean.
Just sometimes people will silently enjoy your stuff.
Doesn't mean it's not there.

I like how you took all the things you were bad at and combined em.
Really smart exercise.

Mathias, really like those.
I recognize the one eyed guy Bros 4 Life guy!
What happened to his cool shoes?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:10:20 pm by PixelPiledriver »

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #129 on: February 15, 2014, 11:35:18 pm

(shush it's still saturday)