AuthorTopic: the kicking fighter [edited]  (Read 3338 times)

yosh64

the kicking fighter [edited]

on: July 21, 2006, 01:07:14 am
hey

edit
Here is something I pixeled today, and I think it's about time I posted here to get some advise or whatever.

another edit
edit
Just moved the body left by a pixel, and added a tiny bit more to the left of the belt.

cyas
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 01:37:21 am by yosh64 »

Offline lief

• View Profile

Re: the kicking fighter [edited]

Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 01:40:58 am
i'm not sure the pose suggests kicking, but rather a running leap.  i can't actually tell what direction any of his body parts have been / will be moving in.  every limb is nearly at the extreme of its movement, you need to have motion-loaded limbs and limbs which have obviously had the motion released.  dynamic vs sprawled.  turn the chest with the body, you might need to make the closer pectoral muscle appear larger/wider than the far side to achieve this (shorten the far side).  also move the arm/shoulder of the far side behind the body slightly.  the top of the leg on the left probably shouldn't have the joint to the hip divided or pronounced as heavily as it is.  i like the funky palette, it suits the style.

yosh64

Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 02:15:41 am
hey

Thanks for the advise :), I'll try improve next post. Anyhows I done a few more edits (btw, this was before I read your post). Well I just added some more detail to the pants, done a tiny bit of AA on some outa lines, and also edited the forehead a tad.

another edit

I quickly added some lines and such, to try and convey the motion better. Hmm, hopefully this is alright ???.

and another edit

Just tried to apply some of your advise :).

cyas
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 03:30:37 am by yosh64 »

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 07:48:05 am
i don't think adding "effects" would do much, seeing as the whole pose is wrong.
i actually thought he was doing dancing leap...
try actually kicking, your body won't look like that.

i like your coloring though. ;)
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 08:08:58 am
I would suggest, perhaps the back leg is bent more towards the body, more so like

lol - in the face.

Nice palette and shading also.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 09:44:12 am
lol, skull, nice pic, but it's most certainly fake...
see the shadow on the wall behind the kicking person...it'd be on the floor, wouldn't it? :D

@yosh64: use the pic as a reference.:>
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 09:45:23 am
It does look more like a running sproing, and that's for a reason. A flying, powerful kick needs one out of two things that I can think of. Preferably both, depending on how far into the motion the character is.

1. It needs a sense of motion. Yours has this, so that's all good. But, the second thing confuses things.

2. It needs to show energy. Energy focused at whoever's being kicked, and energy that's been put into gaining speed in order to execute the kick. Yours has energy, as well. But, it looks like the energy comes from the wrong side of the body, so to speak. The leg you want to be kicking actually looks like it's being used to push the character in the other way. In fact, it looks just like he's about to do a walljump, the foot to the left starting to lean onto the wall...

I can think of two things to change the situation. First off, his kicking leg NEEDS to be compeltely straight. Otherwise he'd absorb the power of the kick, himself, and nothing would happen! Except, maybe, someone breaking a leg... Second, the other leg needs to show a sign that it's just been used to propel the character into the air, toward his target. You might want to make him lean back some to show how much power he's got stored for the attack. Just like Skull's reference, in fact...

And, I could say more thing about the stance, but I won't... It'd just be pointless rambling beyond this point. Just keep what I said in mind.