AuthorTopic: I can't believe how rude this forum can be...  (Read 23896 times)

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Re: I can't believe how rude this forum can be...

Reply #50 on: July 20, 2006, 02:19:54 am
I'm actually pleased that Lick has stuck to his guns. I know we needn't mollycoddle anybody, but this place at least moderately glorifies flat, clinical speech lacking compassionate undertones.

Anyway, QQ everybody and get back to the pixel mines =P

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #51 on: July 20, 2006, 06:21:12 am
What is your definition of ripping? Just curious. I might even agree that I did rip, depending on your definition. Please state your definition. :)

What a waste of our time.

- Adam

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #52 on: July 20, 2006, 06:23:35 am
this place is really starting to freak me out.

.....almost as much as I do to myself...

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: July 20, 2006, 08:42:33 am
And besides, how many of you would prefer this Helm?
you're scaring me now...

@Helm:could've just told him, no?

@Katakus: if there's any part of the picture that isn't originally yours, save for the concept of i and the color palette...
if the lineart isn't yours, and you claimed it as yours, then that's ripping.
if someone would like to add/elaborate..?

and this hasn't been much of a flame war, imo. you don't see people insulting each other personally... ;D
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #54 on: July 20, 2006, 09:08:08 am
If when you start your work, you're altering anything that already exists, be it a google image reference photograph, a street fighter sprite, some sprite you found in a forum or even an old nes mario sprite, then what you're doing is ripping/editing.

If you don't mention that you've done this when you post your art for critique, then you're being deceptive.

If you're working on a drawn & scanned base (be it a color reduced base or a traced base) that is anyone's but yours, and you don't give credit, you're being deceptive. Even if it is yours and you've color reduced instead of straight pixelled, you better mention that as it WILL show up in your final product and trained eyes will catch it and inquire.

If at any time when you work on your piece you find yourself thinking 'hm, should I mention this? Bahh. they'll never find out' then chances are, you're doing something you shouldn't be.

It's interesting that any of these things have to be spelled out for people.

Offline Katakus

• Oops
    • View Profile
    • Katakus Forums

Reply #55 on: July 20, 2006, 06:03:08 pm
That's just what I thought your definitions would be, thanks. ;)

If your definition would have been, "Redrawing an artists drawing without giving credit to the original artist," then I would agree with you. That is exactly what I did, I did not show any references and I did not state who drew the original painting. Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 06:10:14 pm by Katakus »
--------------------

Offline Esker

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: July 20, 2006, 11:34:57 pm
This reminds of when CDI who blatently ripped work and claimed it as his own. Ironically he too said that everyone was rude to him and made a post very similar to this.

It seems you obviously have no idea what a rude forum is like, perhaps you should join the STEAM forums and slate Counterstrike, then you'd understand how diplomatic this forum really is.

This forum doesn't give me the impression it's here to simply praise people, you sound like you need to realise what this forum is about. You'll understand one day that producing work simply to praise a small selection of people just isn't the way to go to becoming a talented artist. Perhaps you should move away from copying artwork of others and try drawing something of your own, just don't expect everything you do to be praise worthy portfolio material first time round, it takes time.

Anyway I'm rambling, it's back to lurking for me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 11:36:33 pm by Esker »

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #57 on: July 21, 2006, 12:53:21 am
Can't believe someone will try to make a ripped work "his" and post it on Pixelation board. This guys are "pixel" artist/veterans some are professionals, and they take of their work to the extreme when it comes to details ;D. It would be very hard to fool them.

And for their attitude, yeah anyone who rips or steal someone's work deserves a thing or two.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #58 on: July 21, 2006, 07:47:43 am
It's pretty obvious in the details. Look at the choppiness above her eyebrows. There's no reason to pixel a dotted line like that. It either comes from auto-color reduction, or tracing over color reduction. There are too many details in the pic that have no rationale behind them, but are very common in auto-color reduction. Anyway...

- Adam

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: July 21, 2006, 09:45:50 am
my last post was aimed at Adam, not Helm, btw..^^;sorry...
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.