AuthorTopic: Tiles C&C  (Read 35343 times)

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Re: Tiles C&C

Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 11:59:36 am
As you can see, after Grimsane's advice I turned up the contrast considerably between the vertical and horizontal planes.
If you look at the Lamp I just made I think you will also notice that I am trying to increase the overall contrast between my colours.

In fact I am not ignoring advice, but simply do not know how to implement it all as I am still learning.  No need to be unfriendly.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 12:41:47 pm
In fact I am not ignoring advice, but simply do not know how to implement it all as I am still learning.  No need to be unfriendly.

If you don't understand advice given, why you don't simple ask?
If you ask the right questions you will get the right answers.
If you don't ask, it's easy to think that you just ignore good advice.

Turning up the contrast between colors won't help if you don't seperate planes clearly.

The overall contrast is really low. It's stillv really low, although you turned it up.
Maybe it's because the darkest colors (at least of the lantern) are really bright, but that also could just be my impression, since I love dark shadow tones and I just looked at the lantern.
the contrast between planes of different direction is not really there in all objects, at some yes, at some not. That can be fixed by using different colors for top planes and front planes - same principle as with the dock poles.

Consider how i upped the overall contrast and the front and top plane seperation.

If you look at your lying barrels you can see that they are just flipped and that the lightsource don't changed.
Also the light on the metal rims comes from the other direction.
there is no consistency of lighting.
The same issue might appear in other graphics you will make/made.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:45:55 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 03:29:28 pm
As you can see, after Grimsane's advice I turned up the contrast considerably between the vertical and horizontal planes.
If you look at the Lamp I just made I think you will also notice that I am trying to increase the overall contrast between my colours.

Don't take it as being unfriendly.
You've bitten of quite a large canvas, how about working on a smaller section with some horizontal and vertical bits, some different textures and some props in the scene?

Simply cranking the contrast in Photoshop shows a huge difference.
Here's another quick edit to give you an idea:

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 10:22:53 pm
Whoa, both of those edits look phenomenal.  I'm definitely sold on increasing the contrast, especially between the various planes.  I'm a little discouraged at the idea of having to revise all of the tiles I've already made.  How would you guys suggest I go about doing this?  I don't own Photoshop but I think contrast can be automatically adjusted in graphicsgale as well.  Would it be advisable to simply highlight the entire image and bump up the contrast this way, or should I approach it in a more manual fashion?

In regards to Cyangmou's comment about the barrels: yeah I realize the light source is incorrect.  I use the area in the bottom left of the canvas for just playing around with things.  Suppose I should edit that out when I post here.

Thanks for the help guys.

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 10:39:30 pm
You can select an individual color and change it to another over an entire image with graphicsgale in several ways rather easily.
There is no need to redraw every tile and element by hand.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 03:52:11 am
Whoa, both of those edits look phenomenal.  I'm definitely sold on increasing the contrast, especially between the various planes.  I'm a little discouraged at the idea of having to revise all of the tiles I've already made.  How would you guys suggest I go about doing this?  I don't own Photoshop but I think contrast can be automatically adjusted in graphicsgale as well.  Would it be advisable to simply highlight the entire image and bump up the contrast this way, or should I approach it in a more manual fashion?

In regards to Cyangmou's comment about the barrels: yeah I realize the light source is incorrect.  I use the area in the bottom left of the canvas for just playing around with things.  Suppose I should edit that out when I post here.

Thanks for the help guys.
As mentioned, I suggest you create a screenshot sized canvas and add in some elements to create a scene rather than working 3000x3000.
Sorry I'm pretty new to Gale (just did my first animation the other day!) and haven't figured out the palettes yet.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 06:51:28 pm
Okay, quick question before I go ahead with this.

So assume all of the lighter surfaces are horizontal and the darker surfaces vertical.  Despite being different hues, the brightness of all of the vertical surfaces are the same as one another, as are those of the horizontal surfaces. 

My question is, is this how it has to be?  For example, since the top of my dock tiles, my grass tiles and my road tiles are all on a horizontal plane, do they need to share the same brightness value?  Even if they don't have to have exactly the same brightness value is this a good general rule to follow? 

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 08:46:50 pm
They don't have to share the same values, but they have to share the same relative value difference between the top and wall tile.
Just go by the the rule that walls are always darker.

Also keep in mind that some colors will be naturally darker while others are brighter. Yellow for example is very bright, red is very dark.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 10:58:28 pm

So assume all of the lighter surfaces are horizontal and the darker surfaces vertical.  Despite being different hues, the brightness of all of the vertical surfaces are the same as one another, as are those of the horizontal surfaces. 

My question is, is this how it has to be?  For example, since the top of my dock tiles, my grass tiles and my road tiles are all on a horizontal plane, do they need to share the same brightness value?  Even if they don't have to have exactly the same brightness value is this a good general rule to follow? 
no it depends on the material and the light.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 12:30:56 am
Alright, so I've been working pretty hard to rectify the problems highlighted above.  I've made an effort to increase saturation and contrast.  I've also made an effort to make the tiles more interesting to look at.

I'm still not finished fixing the underwater portion of the walls and dock supports.  I also intend to fix the bits of grass that silhouette themselves against those sections of the wall.  I'd like you guys to let me know if I'm on the right track so far though.  Any C&C on what I've got so far would be massively appreciated.

(Is it just me or do the direct links to images in this thread appear slightly distorted?)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:34:42 am by Luke »