AuthorTopic: Character portrait  (Read 3553 times)

instant

Character portrait

on: July 18, 2006, 07:54:36 am
This is just a portrait i did for practice, as well as to get ideas flowing.

C&C is quite welcome. ( its funny how you can have 1,000 views - yet only two replies  ;) ; i don't bite, promise)

~edited
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 07:58:31 am by instant »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Character portrait

Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 07:56:45 am
ill crit once you un jpeg it.

instant

Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 07:58:43 am
ill crit once you un jpeg it.

done

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 09:01:09 am
 That's a really cool character you made there. Here are some stuff we should change. You might to reduce the number of colors for skintones to 3. Another shade for it would be too useless. You still got the skin tones have high contrast. That's good. I would make the lightest shade of that hair to a more yellowish shade. Your shading areas have lines that are jaggy or scribbly. Might want to work on those shading areas' lines.  Yours look very detailed already, that's good. Here's an edit of mine to give you the idea. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Andy Tran

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 09:10:49 am
wow, now that is un-jpegd it looks alot better to me for some reason. no major crits.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 11:08:19 am
nice colours and style. The hair needs better definition and the eyes aren't really working for me. his left pupil looks like its sticking out past the eyeball. maybe go a bit smaller?
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 11:26:54 am
i find the dark outline throws the look slightly.  the hair on our right is slightly confusing at the moment.  the strands/clumps/blobs at the back (as far as I can tell by the root positioning) seem to advance to the viewer more than the fringe area, the reverse of what I think you were aiming for.  this can be fixed by making the shadow contours more convex.  this problem was actually worsened in mr. andy trans edit. i believe there is too much shadowing under the right manboob (his left), maybe there should be even less than the other side.  is the portrait of any one in particular?  if so, they should leave their shirt on.

instant

Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 06:08:54 pm
i find the dark outline throws the look slightly.  the hair on our right is slightly confusing at the moment.  the strands/clumps/blobs at the back (as far as I can tell by the root positioning) seem to advance to the viewer more than the fringe area, the reverse of what I think you were aiming for.  this can be fixed by making the shadow contours more convex.  this problem was actually worsened in mr. andy trans edit. i believe there is too much shadowing under the right manboob (his left), maybe there should be even less than the other side.  is the portrait of any one in particular?  if so, they should leave their shirt on.

lmao, I agree. i'm trying to figure out how to give him definition without physically drawing lines. Its something I need to practice.

@ andy: I think I managed colour pretty well, actually. I do, however, agree with adding a yellow tint to the hair to make it more natural.

I'll try this without the black outline aswell.