AuthorTopic: Could you give some advice plz  (Read 4729 times)

Offline Antylum

• View Profile

Could you give some advice plz

on: October 11, 2013, 08:09:05 am
Have a little experience in pixelart, love learning in process  :)
Give me some critique plz: is it better to shade body with black, like on my picture now, or play with HSL with present colors?
How it looks overall?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:17:56 am by Antylum »

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: Could you give some advice plz

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 12:35:45 pm
I really can't guess what this is. ??? I can only recognize feet, and big breasts. It would be helpful if you could explain your idea, and concept.

Offline Antylum

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 04:38:29 pm
It's a laughing woman with octopus arms(tentacles without suction cups) or like another underwater creature, or fish fins

Question is more about what looks better in pixelart: besides black outline, shading inner parts of the body also with black, or using some darker values of body colors?

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 06:28:56 pm
Your main problems here are concept (basic drawing) and colors you chose (they make your sprite look like a brown blob). In my opinion if sprite is done in small resolution you shouldn't use black outline cause you have limited number of pixels that you can use for whole sprite. Instead you should use those pixels for making form of your sprite better. I did quick edit just so you can see the difference. I prefer shading with different colors. I hope that this was helpful. :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 06:31:43 pm by HarveyDentMustDie »

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 09:14:02 pm
My attempt at another color scheme that hopefully avoids racist implications.

Background is very dark to avoid overpowering the subject. I can't get the underwear to be anything but lighter than everything else while still being a very strong red, but an attempt is an attempt.

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 12:19:40 am
My attempt at another color scheme that hopefully avoids racist implications.

:huh: That didn't even crossed my mind. :o I change colors spontaneously, cause black and dark brown was hard to read. I can't believe that this could've become "the racist edit".  :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:21:26 am by HarveyDentMustDie »

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 10:39:56 am
It looks like this character would topple over immediately. If your going for large breasts + octopus maybe look as ursula as a reference? if you going for stick thin as well then the character is basically always going to look awkward and absurd. Maybe that's you intention though I don't know.

I would suggest pixeling something a bit larger to give yourself more space to work with, once you have a coherent design or idea down you can work on a smaller version.

Offline Antylum

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 10:44:45 am
Thanks for help! Your picture looks more sexy  :) The pose is more stretchful, elastic.
I wanted to create more brutal  :crazy: woman, like 'Big mommy' http://www.mannythemovieguy.com/images/big_mommas_house_3_movie.jpg
but a bit sweety

I edited a little with softer shading(before/after):

ursula as a reference
Yes, I like it! Something like that, but with human legs

P.S. In which program do you animate pixelart?

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 03:56:20 pm
Readability is still an issue with your latest edit. The colors are so close in hue, saturation, and value that at a glance it is difficult to tell the difference between them. The magenta sticks out a little, but it is still rough and the outlining is a bit unnecessary. With something that small, a complete outline (whether black or otherwise) takes away from what could be there in the image

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 03:59:10 am
I think you should try drawing and posting it larger first so you can be clearer about what exactly is going on in your design.
Then you have a good reference for reducing it down.
We should treat size restrictions as a challenge to portray forms, not an excuse to be ambiguous.