AuthorTopic: I Need Help to Make Dungeon Tiles  (Read 9870 times)

Offline Selassin

• View Profile

Re: I Need Help to Make Dungeon Tiles

Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 10:51:40 am
 Thank you very much!

With that most recent one, I would advise playing with the depth of the stones a bit more. They appear a bit flat and the contrast could be reworked a bit.
So if we take a look at this, we can barely distinguish your two darkest colors. This may just be a difference in monitors but it's important in pixel art to think about the visibility of your colors. Just raising the brightness of your second darkest color helps out a lot.

I thought that dark colors help me to create a creepy mood, but you're right, I'll keep that in mind.

So the next thing I noticed is that you don't seem to like your food to touch each other on the plate. Sometimes rocks are just pressed up against one another and are just gonna have to get along.

Oh, you caught me! You're absolutely right, I was trying not to let them touch each other, I don't know why though, so this time I let them touch each other and filled some space with rocks.

Also, the extremely varied rock sizes is part of what contributes to your grid issues, but the best way to fix the grids is using several varied tiles (which I know is something that I always forget or just don't want to do) with the texture you are trying to create.

Good idea, I'll do that.

Lastly, as you can see in the edit, I wanted to work with the lighting and color a little bit. Experiment more with this, as it can really make your pixels pop out more or recede into the background, depending on the desired effect. The midtones are emphasized more and the darks aren't as prominent; they merely serve the effect of shadowing rather than outlining the rocks. The lone tile on the left and the middle column are the greyscale from the original, and the other two are my own experimenting with color a bit. Almost no two are exactly the same hue, though they are similar in saturation.

Wow, your colors are really good! Something like that would really useful for me to change the mood/atmosphere. I'll try that too.

So, here what I did upon what you said:

I'm not the best pixel artist in the world, but I hope that I helped in some way.

You are really helpful, thanks again!

Hi everyone, today again, I need your help and opinion about my game's graphics.

So far I did some mossy tiles and logs, some water animation from the between the rocks through the bottom of the map and added a little cell for breaking boring background, It looks like this:

(mossy tiles, mossy logs and fountains are generating randomly at random positions based on the number I choose)
(I know that my character is flying right now)

What do you think? What can I do about mossy logs? I think of a bigger map(s), I made a map editor, so adding more object is not a big deal(except drawing), but before I move on to bigger map, I though that taking your opinions would be good. Plus, character and creep(that mud like creature) are prototype but I don't know what I should do with them.

In the mean time, I'm digging into lights, but first, I'll scale that cell up.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:36:16 pm by PixelPiledriver »

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 06:52:22 pm
Should have mentioned this sooner.

When dealing with game assets you have to pay attention to how it all fits together in a game screen. Right now, the background is competing for attention.

Quick example to show what I mean:

Offline Selassin

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 08:25:32 pm
Oh right, this looks much better, I'll try to fix that now.