AuthorTopic: "Betelgeuse" TD shooter (NES restrictions)  (Read 48351 times)

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26848.htm
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Re: "Atari ST Robotz"-like shooter, but with NES restrictions

Reply #50 on: April 08, 2014, 01:36:51 pm
Trying new colors, previous version:

And current:

Used this colors.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 02:52:29 pm by winged doom »

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Re: "Atari ST Robotz"-like shooter, but with NES restrictions

Reply #51 on: May 12, 2014, 04:17:48 am
Reworking tileset :

And test with Tiled Map Editor:

Update of spriteset:

And set for main menu:

Test in Tiled Map Editor and main menu mockup:

Also, version that actually not with NES colors, but I like this much more than any other:

Offline Alp

• View Profile

Re: "Betelgeuse" TD shooter (NES restrictions)

Reply #52 on: December 16, 2014, 01:54:42 am
I had been meaning to critique this art for quite some time, you have some nice work!
Though, your tile optimization could use some work. I had some time, waiting for a commissioner to respond, so...

Assuming the use of meta-tiles (assigning four 8x8 tiles into a 16x16 unit), I have gone through your tiles, and crunched down the CHR bank as much as possible. There are a few questionable tiles (minimal pixel differences), but I elected to leaving them alone. Pruning them out would be the artists' choice when producing an actual NES game.

On the NES, you would now have room to fit your hud information.

Offline Tijjer

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: December 31, 2014, 08:52:07 pm
Looking very good so far!  Also when I saw the title I thought it meant Beetlegueuse or Beetlejuice x3

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: January 01, 2015, 09:30:01 am
Hehe what does the "DOOM" powerup do?

I'm not that into NES graphics so I don't know is there any restriction on animation number of frames and timing?
Because your sprites are cool but I think the animation can be tweaked a bit to get rid of some of the flickery/twitching frames.
For example I love the little 4 leg mech but the legs go smoothly backward then instantly twitch back to the front.

I haven't read up but on closer inspection I'm not sure if its a mech or some alien creature.
Seems to have a mix of organic and mechanical forms.
I think it would probably benefit from some design decision to make it clearer what it is.
If its biomechanical then maybe use 2 separate colours to indicate that.

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Reply #55 on: January 02, 2015, 11:17:54 am
I had been meaning to critique this art for quite some time, you have some nice work!
Though, your tile optimization could use some work. I had some time, waiting for a commissioner to respond, so...

You reminded me about the dilemma which I could not decide when preparing resources for a test build - make tileset convenient for leveldesign or optimize it to free up more space for tiles. Now I try to find a compromise solution based on your work, big thank you for this!

Hehe what does the "DOOM" powerup do?

This thing blows up 5 enemies on the level.

I'm not that into NES graphics so I don't know is there any restriction on animation number of frames and timing?
I know nothing about timing limits, but number of frames is limited by the size of tileset, which is used for current level. So I have 4 frames and one of which is used for the "idle" frame.

Because your sprites are cool but I think the animation can be tweaked a bit to get rid of some of the flickery/twitching frames.
For example I love the little 4 leg mech but the legs go smoothly backward then instantly twitch back to the front.
Oh now I see it. The problem is in size of the "frame", it's 16x16 pixels and legs nowhere to swing, they rest on the edge of the frame.

I haven't read up but on closer inspection I'm not sure if its a mech or some alien creature.
Seems to have a mix of organic and mechanical forms.
I think it would probably benefit from some design decision to make it clearer what it is.
If its biomechanical then maybe use 2 separate colours to indicate that.
Yes, it's hybrid, half organic, half mechanical. It's a good idea, I will have to try it, thank you!  :)

Offline Pinux

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: January 04, 2015, 07:14:21 pm
I love Nes games there my favorite type to play looks good  :y: