AuthorTopic: [WIP]Two colour tree.  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

[WIP]Two colour tree.

on: August 16, 2013, 07:50:13 pm
I just began work on a two colour landscape that I am makin and here is a two colour tree that is a WIP. Please could I haveritique about it.

EDIT: Made a smaller tree as well.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:51:54 pm by Letmethink »
I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]Two colour tree.

Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 11:24:31 pm
I had a longer critique, but in summary, avoid mirroring -- use a more directional lightsource to bring out the shape of the tree. This will also help you avoid creating silly faces (there are three on the large tree and one on the small)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 12:25:09 am
Hi there! I did an edit of your tree!

First of I say scrap the dithering. At this scale it reads more as noise than a coherent texture or a buffer between the colors.
You only have two colors so try to cram as much out of them as you can, I started by first looking up some pictures of tree canopies to see how their light behaved. I then chose a clear lightsource and formed the shapes out of that. Contrast is a great way to make things instantly more readable, especially when using so few colors on smale scale stuff. that's why the Canopy is more black, it helps separate it from the trunk. Details can also be implied by just a few pixels, like the texture on the trunk! Good luck, looking forward to seeing the rest of the landscape!

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 05:40:31 pm
Ah, I started a similar example/explanation as Reo yesterday, although I'm for the dither in more ordered form! :) ignore the dupes:

Silhouette: it might be a mushroom or something at first glance, you don't have colour info to help so this is even more important to disambiguate. The trunk is pretty huge for the canopy and there's little sense of it being an open mass of leaves; looks quite smooth as yet.

Only two values to play with so you could really do with leveraging the whole range available ie. areas of full black to full white; atm you're treating things more like a line drawing.

I think something pretty high constrast, akin to brush & ink is a good way to think here; flat black stencil shadows, and to push back stuff on overlap for clarity, directional halftone/texture around form.