AuthorTopic: Learning to do Pixel Art  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Altourus

• View Profile

Learning to do Pixel Art

on: June 24, 2013, 01:28:16 am
I heard that the way to master a skill is to spend 10,000 hours doing it. I've decided to learn how to create pixel art so I can begin developing my own games ( already a skilled programmer ) . To do this I'm going to do a piece of pixel art everyday until I feel I've enough skill to do my game. I'm posting them at http://altouruspixelart.blogspot.ca/ if anyone is interested in checking out my progress :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Learning to do Pixel Art

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:40:47 am
Good luck on your project. I would suggest you use the main pixel art critique forum here in Pixelation to get feedback on your work as you go. If you can balance daily work with digesting critique, you will progress faster than if you worked in solitude daily.

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 01:03:09 pm
If you can balance daily work with digesting critique, you will progress faster than if you worked in solitude daily.
True dat

And more than that, later on you should try taking more than a day on a piece

Daily pieces are good to train composition skills, and shape rendering (like sketches in traditional drawing)...

But you won't be doing much fine-detail adjustments (like color tweaking, polishing and such) which are essential to pixelart

Offline Altourus

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 01:32:13 pm
Good luck on your project. I would suggest you use the main pixel art critique forum here in Pixelation to get feedback on your work as you go. If you can balance daily work with digesting critique, you will progress faster than if you worked in solitude daily.

Actually I have been doing that too :) just didn't want to flood the Pixel art forums with daily works, so I'll probably have one on the go in that forum at any given time

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=15476.0 This is the thread incase you're interested

Offline Zintendo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:01:25 pm
Good Luck, it's a good idea to make it a habit of practicing every day.  Humans are creatures of habit and repetitive behavior.

Before no time at all, it'll be common place that you get to your practice, and it'll feel out of place if you skip a day.  That's when you know you're on the right track.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:03:05 pm by Zintendo »

Offline Hao

• View Profile
    • Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 08:22:48 am
Very cool idea ;D , nice to see you're really up to it. I should try it too, at least if it's a small piece. I think challenging yourself is also a good idea, IE: I challenged myself last year to draw human bodies in different positions, first month was a pain in the ass, after a while it got much better.

Where do you drive your inspiration from?
http://pc.wind-water.net - Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles available for PC!

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 12:00:10 am
Good Luck, it's a good idea to make it a habit of practicing every day.  Humans are creatures of habit and repetitive behavior.

Before no time at all, it'll be common place that you get to your practice, and it'll feel out of place if you skip a day.  That's when you know you're on the right track.

That's funny... I'm human... and yet I'm not bound by habits....