AuthorTopic: Parrot + Nature Set [C+C] [WIP]  (Read 3219 times)

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Parrot + Nature Set [C+C] [WIP]

on: July 22, 2013, 06:15:18 pm
Hello :D , Iv been working on this parrot for about 2 hours or so :P any who I havent tried such thing so far , and before I go onto making the Tree and the Nature background , Id like to know if I am going in the right direction with the parrot , as I still have the tail of the parrot to make or w/e its  called :P and its pretty long and I wana know if I am doing the texture and shading correctly , so I dont have to re make it all over again

original picture (First try)

2nd edit:

3rd edit:

trying to Fix the texture of the parrots wings abit but failing miserably  :'( (2 edits so far not much diff tho)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:19:15 pm by BoodyA »

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Re: Parrot + Nature Set [C+C] [WIP]

Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 10:44:52 pm
Made an edit:

You need to start thinking about volume/form when you're rendering the subject. Your feather texture seems arbitrarily applied to the parrot which is making him look flat. If you establish a light source and think about how the light moves across the shapes of the parrot's body it will help you decide how to shade him.

Also you have some redundant/uninteresting colors in your pallet. You can get more out of the colors you do have by switching between ramps. For example, mix some of that orange into the red to spruce it up. Look up hue shifting for the long version of that. Get rid of the colors that are too similar, restrict your pallet, experiment, study your ref and then see what you come up with.

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 12:33:29 am
I guess your right man <3 Ill give it a try :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:00:28 pm by BoodyA »

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 11:37:18 am
Alright this is what I ended up with after Re-Defining my light source and focusing more on it rather than the texture , which actually come out after I defined my light source more :D , did some hue shifting , so disregard the color palette on the left :P Iv drawn a circle to show the light source Iv used , hopefully I am going on the right direction :P

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:49:48 am by BoodyA »

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 04:11:23 pm
I think the main issue right now is that the bird's texture is reading as really grainy and rugged. I know you're trying to represent feathers but they are very smooth and shiny, from far away you can't make out many individual feathers (except the tips of the wings) and overall the bird just looks like a single, glossy surface so you'd probably just need to focus some more intense (think glossy!) highlights over the highlights you've already got and remove the extra texturing.

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 04:58:11 pm
I keep trying and trying and I just cant warp my head around a decent feather texture If I can get the hang of it xx I'd really like some examples of a decent feather texture if any can provide so I can progress

Still trying heres what I ended up with (2 edits)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:18:53 pm by BoodyA »

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 04:10:51 pm
Still cant get my head around it :/ any of you guys have a clue of what I am doing wrong with the texture?