AuthorTopic: Learning to do pixel art - starting with spaceships - following advice  (Read 8895 times)

Offline louisdeb

• View Profile
Have done some (ish) pixel art on photoshop but have just moved to graphicsgale. This is my first piece of art from it. I never feel when I start that I'm on to something but I just carry on and as i go it feels better... but the stuff I make is never great.

[img=http://imgur.com/lkwL6lz][/img]

What am i doing wrong / should i be doing / could do better.
And where can i learn that?

edit: real img there VVV
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:02:03 pm by louisdeb »

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

Re: First piece of pixel art - Spaceship - Need feedback / help

Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 03:26:28 pm
Fixed image link:

I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

Offline louisdeb

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:28:21 pm
oh god aha thank you the format i used is standard on a forum i usually go on and i didnt think to check :/

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 05:05:02 pm
Okay, let the crits roll in.

1.  First use a reference picture to get anatomy right.
2. Square shaped spaceships are a bit boring, try to go with something a bit difference.
3. Make sure you have a clear idea of what you are going to make (at least what you expect to make) before you make it.
4. Don't use a square canvas.
5. Shade to how the forms are on the actual object not the same for everything.
6. Shade with a light source which is constant.
7. As you are new and you may not be the best at making pallettes, study already made pallettes and use them if necessary.
8. Be original!
9. Let your imgination do the rest.
10. Consider the colours actual spaceships have, rather dark but quite bright.
11. Chose your style or the style you are attempting to recreate.
12. Chose the priority of the object you are going to draw. The lower priority the less saturated colours you need to use.-
I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

Offline louisdeb

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 05:15:25 pm
Response to:
(3) Do many pixel artists draw something on paper before hand?
(4) ?!!!? What canvas do I use? This is new to me.
(6) Yeah I thought this might be the case... didn't think of one for this sprite.
(7) I used someone elses pallet in this one, though don't think I used it as best as could be.
(10) Yeah I wanted this to be some alien style or something idk.
(11) Can I have some examples? And how do I come up with this without not being original.
(12) Oh! Okay.

Thanks a lot for the advice :D

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 05:23:37 pm
Response to:
(3) Do many pixel artists draw something on paper before hand?
(4) ?!!!? What canvas do I use? This is new to me.
(6) Yeah I thought this might be the case... didn't think of one for this sprite.
(7) I used someone elses pallet in this one, though don't think I used it as best as could be.
(10) Yeah I wanted this to be some alien style or something idk.
(11) Can I have some examples? And how do I come up with this without not being original.
(12) Oh! Okay.

Thanks a lot for the advice :D
3. Many do, many people do for more professional or paid projects.
4. If you look at any spaceship it won't be square. What you need to do is look at some examples. With a spaceship I have found that many are wider than they are high so for a spaceship I would suggest for this size perhaps a 48x32 canvas. The no square thing isn't really a rule but it shoud depend on what you are drawing.
6. Try to, it helps a lot
7. Could I see what this pallette can be used for. If you use someone elses pallette and if it is good see how the have used highlights and etc.
10. If it an alien object I would make it much more obvious by using brighter, nearly neon green.
11. What I mean is that be original in what you create not necessarily in the style. Nearly all (well not really) pixel artists have their own style whether it be cartoony, really realistic, dark colours or any more. Some pixel artists are easily able to adapt between these and the best can.

Oh, wait...

Offline Wanyo

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 05:52:53 pm
I tossed you some more C+C over at /r/pixelart: http://www.reddit.com/r/PixelArt/comments/1hv3w8/ccnewbiefirst_pixel_art_in_a_while_need_help/ in case you don't wander over there much.

+ a quick edit:
<3

Offline louisdeb

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 05:47:24 pm
3. Many do, many people do for more professional or paid projects.
4. If you look at any spaceship it won't be square. What you need to do is look at some examples. With a spaceship I have found that many are wider than they are high so for a spaceship I would suggest for this size perhaps a 48x32 canvas. The no square thing isn't really a rule but it shoud depend on what you are drawing.
6. Try to, it helps a lot
7. Could I see what this pallette can be used for. If you use someone elses pallette and if it is good see how the have used highlights and etc.
10. If it an alien object I would make it much more obvious by using brighter, nearly neon green.
11. What I mean is that be original in what you create not necessarily in the style. Nearly all (well not really) pixel artists have their own style whether it be cartoony, really realistic, dark colours or any more. Some pixel artists are easily able to adapt between these and the best can.

(4) I sound so dumb... yknow what I'm gonna drop that one. I totally understand :D
(7) Yes the pallet was from here. The pixel art was very nice so I thought I'd just grab it.

(10) I was thinking of it like a sewer planet or something, but yeah.
(11) Okay. But I shouldn't think of this so early on... should I?

Offline louisdeb

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 05:48:04 pm
I tossed you some more C+C over at /r/pixelart: http://www.reddit.com/r/PixelArt/comments/1hv3w8/ccnewbiefirst_pixel_art_in_a_while_need_help/ in case you don't wander over there much.

+ a quick edit:

Yes I did and your help was incredible <3

Offline louisdeb

• View Profile
Here's today's. I focused on getting everything down in black first, then a solid color, then thinking about where the light is coming from and shading from there. Used my own colors unlike last time.

All feedback appreciated : D

Also technical question about graphics gale: how can I copy a color from one pallet point to another without swapping them?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:43:09 pm by louisdeb »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
technical question about graphics gale: how can I copy a color from one pallet point to another without swapping them?
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline louisdeb

• View Profile
Brilliant, thank you.