AuthorTopic: New to pixel art!  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Gauis

• View Profile

New to pixel art!

on: July 01, 2013, 10:15:36 pm
Hello everyone,

I am very new to the forum, I come here to seeking to learn more about this great art that I admire a lot even though I am not very good at it myself.  :(
Couple of weeks ago I decided to try and learn pixel art the right way: doing it! I have read just about every tutorial on the web since always, but never really got to practice it since my very first attempts were pretty embarrassing... Now that I have the right mindset towards it I hope to accomplish my ultimate goal: making decent programmer art (that's it!).

Every other day for the last two weeks I tried to do something, this is what I came up with:

I actually think these are ok, but except for the apple, I didn't really start with what they became. The armor began as a shield, the cloak as a helmet. Haven't found much use in doing tiles as those can be quite abstract to me, objects seem like a more appropriate choice to begin with.

Would appreciate any comments or constructive criticism, ideas for simple objects, anything really! Thanks

Offline eots

• View Profile

Re: New to pixel art!

Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 12:14:05 am
I think its good that you dont lock your mind, like if the helmet resembles a cloak then it is a cloak. :)

Dont expect to be a master at pixel art by just following pixel art tutorials, its mostly just about the craftsmanship not the art itself. Youll have to learn about complementary colors and stuff like that and translate it into pixels, and educate you eye to be more critic towards the art you see.

C on your art might be something like try to fade the shades into the highlights with more colors or try use some dithering to make your sprites look less flat but it might not mater if you dont let yourself think art instead of pixelart... One thing though is to get rid of all the sharp corners, if an outline pixel is covered on two sides dont use the same color for that one.

Wish you great luck! Anyone can do it!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: New to pixel art!

Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 05:18:55 am
I think u should draw some primitives and practice shading them with different light sources and the shadows they cast. This will teach u the basics of rendering and u can follow some tutorials about that stuff.
for example, ur apple looks like a flat bevelled disc-like shape rather than a rounded form.