AuthorTopic: Lamplight?  (Read 6212 times)

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Lamplight?

on: June 05, 2013, 08:11:35 pm

I'm trying to create a crystal lit lamp light effect radiating from this crystal lamp, but the things I tried looked pretty bad... So bad I didn't even save any of the attempts for you guys to see!

Trying to get a bluish-green light similar to the lights found in this image:
(NOTE image is not mine, and unfortunately I can't name the artist as it was sent to me as a nameless inspiration image). Trying to get a cold, industrial feel going for this steampunk project.
Any ideas? I didn't even try doing it with pixels and instead messed around in photoshop, but still couldn't get it to look right.. Is this possible in pixels?

Offline skaytr

• View Profile

Re: Lamplight?

Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:55:42 pm
I'm not speeking in terms of pixel art, but strictly speeking , a light source is only very small. It's the "Glow" and colored highlight on nearby objects that give it that effect you wan't.

Quick Edit:

I'm certianly no expert in lighting, but I do know that If you have a cold color light, you need a warm shadow, and vice verser.
This is obviously painted, would be more difficult with pixel art.

I desaturated your image allot, and shifted the hue slightly.

I also added cast shadows, so it actually feels like the light is lighting up the room and not just faking a light source. The shadows don't fade out quick enough either, made them too dark, but you get the point XD

Probably a bit too much glow, meh...

Could ad a lense flair effect if you wanted, would be cool in a side-scrolling game as a seperate sprite effect over top.

Hope that helps!

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:08:27 pm
That does help, thank you for taking the time to whip up that edit! In a side scroller setting your lighting works really well... These are supposed to be interior tiles for an RPG however, so it is a little more tricky as I am going to have to try and keep it as simple and multi-useful as possible. You definitely gave me some new ideas though with this, thanks!

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:26:22 pm
I tried it with a more strict pixel art approach, but I still used transparency.
You're going to need matching tiles that are lit up, but I think it's worth it!

I know Cyangmou is really good at this stuff :)
(just look at this)

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 05:12:38 am

Ok-- so I tinkered more with the desk lamp and just wasn't happy with the amount of tiles it would take to make it lit, so I've decided I will make a smaller lit wall sconce and this lit up wet bar seen above. These 2 sources of cold greenish-blue light should be plenty to convey the mood I'm after.

Any suggestions on the wet bar? Does it look accurately lit?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 07:19:17 am
Looks fully sick.
I just feel the columns and the bottle need to have the perspective adjusted, so curvy bottoms instead of flat cardboard cutouts.
If its liquid in the bottle you could try making it sexy by having the light glow through the liquid and kinda cast this light onto the wood, blended into shadow from thicker sides of the bottle and label.
I'm not feeling that glass windows in the cabinetry either, looks too bright and those comic style diagnal lines don't do it any favours, I'd rather see what is behind it a bit more instead.

I also think you could also use a bit of warm yellow on those top/front highlights to balance it out.

And the top left and right cupboards chould cast a slight shadow instead of the much green bleeding around the edge.
Likewise, the angle of the shadows from the columns should point outwards such as drawing a line from the light-source to the base of the columns, and be careful not to let this shadow affect the highlight on the front edge like you've got here as they're from separate light sources...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:25:40 am by Decroded »

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 03:08:03 am

Thank you a ton for the feedback, it really helped. I tried to do everything you said except for a few things... I would prefer to keep the glass panes opaque to keep consistent with another piece of furniture I've made for this tileset, but I am totally open to a new glass shading style as I'm not completely satisfied with the diagonal lines either. Also I wanted to do the green light reflection through the liquid in the bottle but don't really know how to convey it... Touched up lots of things though, is it an improvement?

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 08:21:28 am
Still got cardboard cutout columns Decroded mentioned, is this a conscious choice then?  Looks a little odd.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 11:07:00 am
Yeah here's sort of what I meant.

I've run out of time while still experimenting with glass.
I'm not sure how to make glass looks good when its totally opaque and not reflecting something because glass doesn't do that unless its stained or something.

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 03:10:04 pm
Yeah the base of the columns was supposed to be a square piece of wood with the cylindrical columns attaching into them.. But after seeing the base turned cylindrical also I think it looks best to make it like that.